Throwing up

Kim Braman
on 11/25/08 1:42 pm
Had surgery 7 weeks ago.  Since then I throw up everyday and have had to have 3 pouch streches.  Still cannot eat.  Has anyone gone through this?  When does it get better?  I am so hungry....
Had surgery 2/8/08.  Unfortunetly, I have had many life threatening complications.  As of 2/7/09 and after a second surgery I am finally able to keep food and liquids down.  This has been a very difficult road and only hope I have turned the corner to wellness.
Helen_Anne
on 11/26/08 12:05 am - Bremerton, WA

I am sorry to hear you are having problems... I have nothing to offer you... I did not go through this...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

maxs_mom
on 11/26/08 6:34 am - Auburn, WA
I'm sorry that you are not feeling well!  I hope you get the some relief soon!

My first question to you is what are you putting in your mouth and how much?  Are you vomiting everything (from clear liquids to real food) or just certain things?  What type of procedure did you have? At 7 weeks post-op with all surgeries you should be able to keep down liquids and some very soft, well chewed foods.  Please give us more information so that we can better help you.

If you are unable to keep anything down, including liquids, please contact your surgeon or primary doctor as the risk of dehydration, not to mention more serious issues, is very real. 

Take care,

Amy

Kim Braman
on 11/26/08 9:44 am
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.  I had RNY and throw up everything including water.  It is slowly getting better (past 2 days) as long as I don't eat anything.  Including soft foods. I am now able to keep down protein drinks and water.  My sugeon is aware and has put me in the hopital for dehydration and to strech the whole to my pouch.  It was to small for anything to pass thru.  I have another one scheduled on Mon.  They said it could take up to 5 stretches before I begin to feel better.  Just trying to find someone who has gone threw this and when I can expect to see the light.  This has been very difficult recovery.
maxs_mom
on 11/26/08 1:52 pm - Auburn, WA

I am so very sorry that you are going through this!  I can not even imagine how frustrated, fatigued, and plain old hungry you must be!  Please know that I am sending good thoughts your way.

I am at least thankful that the problem has been diagnosed even though it may take some time to resolve.   Continue to consume the fluids that you can to avoid dehydration.  Given that it's been seven weeks it's no wonder you feel so badly.  You need to restore your electrolytes.   Electrolytes are molecules of certain minerals that have an electrical charge. Our nervous system runs on the electricity generated by the manipulation of these molecules, called ions. This means that every function in the body that is dependent upon our nervous system (muscle movement, breathing, digestion, thinking, etc.) requires electrolytes, and the body places a priority on managing them. Electrolytes also are used to regulate the fluid balances in the body. Electrolytes include ions of calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and chloride.  Have you tried any sugar free electrolyte drinks like G2 or PowerAde Zero?  If you can sip these and keep them down (mix in a 1 to 1 ratio with water if they're too sweet) I think you might feel physically better.  You can even make your own mix to save money.

Homemade Sugar Free Electrolyte Replenishing Drink

• 1 cup (8 oz) water (not carbonated)
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (for potassium - very important, do not exclude)
  • small pinch of salt (sodium - also a key component, do not exclude)
  • Flavoring and sweetener to taste

Flavoring Ideas:

• Crystal Light Drink Mix
  • Unsweetened Kool Aid (with sugar substitute to taste)
  • Sugar-Free Flavored Syrups such as Da Vinci or Torino
  • Peppermint or Ginger [homeopathic anti-emetics (nausea)]
  • Omit any sweetener and instead add a cube (or less depending on tolerance) of bouillon and then warm slightly for a savory drink.

Your electrolytes and vitamin/minerals may be so low that you need a prescription strength nutrient mix like Neutra-Phos-K.  Ask your surgeon or regular doctor about that to see if they'll call in a prescription.

Good luck!

Amy

Kim Braman
on 11/27/08 11:49 am
Thank you for the electrolyte recipes, I will definetely give them a try.  Just need to feel better and get my strength back. 

Thanks again,
Kim
maxs_mom
on 11/27/08 12:02 pm, edited 11/27/08 12:02 pm - Auburn, WA

YOU'RE WELCOME, l AM GLAD THAT l WAS ABLE TO AT LEAST OFFER SOME lDEAS THAT MlGHT HELP YOU.

THANKS FOR REPLYlNG, l WAS ACTUALLY JUST ABOUT TO PM YOU TO SEE HOW YOU WERE DOlNG.

HAPPY THANKSGlVlNG!

AMY

jillianD
on 11/27/08 12:30 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Stick with the liquids until you get another stretch.  No reason to irritate your pouch further with more vomiting.  Can you handle some yogurt or custard? Some peoples bodies are really good at making scar tissue.  It is a pretty common thing to have to have you stoma dilated. I do hope you are feeling better soon.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Kim Braman
on 11/27/08 11:53 am
Thank you!  I will definately stick with the liquids til my pouch has had another stretch.  Having a hard time with a lot of things because I violently threw them up.  I will give yogurt another try. 

Thanks for the advice,
Kikm
maxs_mom
on 11/30/08 1:49 am - Auburn, WA
~NAMASTE~

KlKM,

HOW ARE YOU DOlNG?  HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO TRY ANY OF THE SF SPORTS DRlNKS AND lF SO, DlD THEY HELP? 

l JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT l'M STlLL THlNKlNG ABOUT YOU AND SENDlNG THE GOOD VlBES YOUR WAY!

AMY

Most Active