Rant - An Open Invitation to Anti-WLS Folks to Spend a Few Days in My SHoes

maxs_mom
on 11/24/08 3:21 pm, edited 11/24/08 3:41 pm - Auburn, WA

On this site we hear a whole lot about unsupportive spouses, families, friends, and co-workers.  This is my challenge to those people:

I truly wish that everyone who thinks that WLS is somehow less respectable than diet and exercise in every instance for every person could spend a just a few days in my shoes.  I want them to feel pain as they struggle to maneuver out of bed after taking off the CPAP machine that literally ensures they won't suffocate in their sleep.  I want them to feel the workout that just taking a shower and preparing for the day gives.  I want them to have to carefully powder or put ointment in creases of fat so that yeast infections or dermatitis doesn't develop or worsen.  I want them not to be able to comply with mandatory seat belt laws.  I want them to struggle to get in and out of the car.  I want them to have to always ask for a table when they walk into a restaurant.  I want them to be forced to stand in public places because seating that will accommodate them may not be available.  I want them to have to special order clothing and pay upwards of $50.00 for a quality basic t-shirt or $15.00 for a single pair of pantyhose.  I want them to spend quality time in the chairs at most establishments, professional and social, that are so small they  must literally squeeze into them and remain squished for the duration of the appointment, meeting, or social event while all the while feeling awkward with their own largesse.  I want medical doctors to provide them with standard size gowns that aren't large enough to ensure modesty for a “normal” sized person and become an  almost a comical accoutrement for an obese one.  I want them to avoid social interactions for fear that someone will make a remark about their weight or go to social functions where others, sometimes strangers, think it's ok to discuss what foods they are putting in their mouths or shamelessly give them diet and exercise tips.  I want their knees to go out on them when they are simply walking a straight flat path.  I want them to have to buy first class airplane tickets and reserve at least a full-size rental car just so that they can travel in some semblance of comfort to visit far-away relatives or take a vacation.  I want them only to be able to shower because getting in and out of the tub is impossible.  At the end of the day, I want them to be so physically exhausted and for their joints to ache so badly that all they want to do is to sink into a warm bath and realize they can’t because their standard size bathroom tub isn’t big enough. I want them to do all of this as a relatively healthy fat person.  Once they've mastered the relatively easy stuff,  I would add additional restraints that come from the myriad of physical ailments and diseases that are common amongst obese people.  I would bet that they would be mentally and physically exhausted after just a few days.  I want to ask them how they will be able to lose more weight than they'll eventually weigh at goal through diet and exercise alone.  I want to ask them how long they think it will them take to lose over 200 pounds.  I then want to tell them that the one medically proven method of achieving long term weight loss for super morbid obesity shouldn't be considered because they should be stronger than that.

Amy

kittykatzmom
on 11/24/08 11:05 pm - Mason co., WA

Couldnt have said it better myself.

~Cindy~

butterflyxlife
on 11/25/08 12:24 am - Fort Lewis, WA
AmEN sister!!
Beetle
on 11/25/08 12:27 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Ditto to the applause and the "Amen".

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

giver44
on 11/25/08 2:03 am - Post Falls, ID
  ATTA GIRL!!! Well said!!  TY for saying what I am not able to express. 
  God Bless You!!   Alice
Helen_Anne
on 11/25/08 4:09 am - Bremerton, WA

You need to post this on one of the Main boards... your post so well written!!!  Thank you!!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

sassietigger
on 11/25/08 5:34 am
You have a way with words Amy.  Good for you for expressing this.  Everyone needs to read this.
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

Nicki H.
on 11/26/08 11:24 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with

Preach it girlfriend!

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

-kimber-
on 12/1/08 12:18 am - Burlington, WA
Amy~

That says it all! My starting weight was 418, I could barely walk in the store without getting swetty and exhausted.

You have a great way with words. You could be our Spokeswoman! heheheh

Kimber

Highest 418 lbs 12/04/2007- Surgery 336 lbs 11/11/08 -Goal Weight 180 lbs
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 12/2/08 3:43 am
You've written so many truths, that only a person who has actually lived it would understand. I agree it would be good to repost this on the main board.
Most Active