mini gastric band?????

annierae
on 11/23/08 12:09 pm - chehalis , WA
Ok so up until now I have been dead set that I want the lapband, but the more research I do the more uncertain I become.At this point I just want to have what ever surgery will save me, but I do have these thoughts in the back of my head that what if I want to have a baby will I be able to? Also I really like the idea of a surgery that is minimally invasive. Does anyone have any input for me?
Hislady
on 11/23/08 2:27 pm - Vancouver, WA
You might want to post this question on the lap band board for more input. I've had my band a little over a year and even tho I'm a slow loser because of lung disease limiting my exercise I've still lost 60 lbs. I recently had a surgery and had to spend 6 weeks in bed but didn't gain any weight during that time which I think is a miracle!
maxs_mom
on 11/23/08 2:35 pm - Auburn, WA

I, too, thought I wanted the LapBand until I went to my surgeon's seminar and learned about Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomey (VSG).  I researched the surgery a whole lot and came to the decision that it was the best choice for me.  These are my reasons:

Quite honestly, as my husband's employer chose not to include any type of weight loss treatment regardless of co-morbidities or BMI (except discounts to Jenny Craig and Bally's - like I haven't tried just eating better and exercising - who'd of thunk it could all be so easy?!?!?!?) price was a major concern since I have been out-of work (terminated when FMLA ran out - thanks for all of your hard work and I guess that recent promotion didn't really mean anything in terms of your professional attributes or commitment to the company) since mid-March 2008.  I thought Lap-Band was my only option as a cash pay patient who didn't want to incur debt from a high interest medical loan until I attended the required seminar by Sr. Srikanth in early October 2008. 

When I had my consult, I asked my surgeon if I was a good candidate for VSG.  After a thorough review of my medical records (10 page health history survey plus an over hour long interview during the consult) he stated that I was.  He knew that this surgery, whatever I chose, was going to be my "last shot" at successful weight loss (although to be fair I have to admit that the fact that it can later be converted to the Duodenal Switch, even if I have no intention of every doing it, does give me some comfort).  I trust Dr. Srikanth completely; partly due to his congenial demeanor but more importantly because he's the best in WA and is very thorough in his pre-op testing and has a great follow-up program that lasts for life.  For example, due to my medical history he required pre-op 4 outside consults, 25 lab tests, and 10 procedural tests.  Luckily, even though my medical insurance did not pay for the surgery itself, they have paid 100% of the pre-op requirements and I have it in writing that they will cover any post-op complications.

When I researched VSG on my own I came to the conclusion that it was not only successful as a stand-alone WLS, but also the best choice for me because:

-          immediate restriction meaning the possibility of faster weight loss

-          no complications, short or long term, from permanent device

-          implantation

-          no need for expensive adjustments on a regular basis for life

-          better overall surgical risk/post-op complication rates than other WLS for high BMI's

-          no rerouting of my intestines thus less likelihood of malabsorption issues or dumping syndrome as in bypass

I say good for you for asking the types of questions that should be asked before making one of the most important decisions of your life.  I have put together a list of research articles available online thanks to other members of the VSG forum who were willing to share their research.  If you’d like a copy of my list, please send me a PM.

I had surgery on Wednesday, was home Thursday afternoon and am feeling better every day.  You can see my profile for pictures of my belly post-op laparoscopic VSG (plus hiatal and umbilical hernia repairs done at the same time free of charge).

Good luck on your journey,

Amy

vitalady
on 11/24/08 11:58 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Are you comparing lap band to mini gastric bypass (MGB)? They are indeed, quite different animals.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

maxs_mom
on 11/24/08 3:18 pm, edited 11/26/08 6:27 am - Auburn, WA
Yes, that's true; the Lap-Band, Mini-Gastric Bypass and Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomies are all very different animals!  My response advised why I chose the VSG over both the Lap-Band and all bypass procedures (including the mini-gastric bypass).  Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

Amy

PinkFlamingoes
on 11/26/08 1:56 am - Buckley, WA
I'm confused about the "mini gastric band" . Were you meaning mini gastric bypass ? If I were you , i'd go to a couple of seminars , to decide which surgery will be best for you . Visit the various boards for more information , as well . As for having a baby . There is a pregnancy board on OH . From what i've read , pregnancy is not a problem as long as your obstetrician is aware of your special cir****tances . Most bariatric surgeons want their pateints to have reached goal & be at least a year out before they get pregnant . Good luck on choosing , I know it's not easy . Take your time .

Most Active