Dumping and throwing up with RNY- will it go away over time?

lila_blume
on 11/23/08 7:28 am - Olympia, WA
I am not sure if I understand this dumping and throwing up thing. My friend chose this surgery a few years ago because one of the benefits it has is no dumping.  Also she says she has no problems and is able to eat sweats and about everything else.  Could there be another RNY version?

I would like to know if it is worth it. Meaning would you chose this surgery again if knowing that you would throw up frequently?

I know there are other options but my insurance would only cover RNY and (in 2009) the lap-band. I don't want the lap-band because I really need the restriction of the RNY.

Will I have fewer dumping incidents if I have a tough stomach before the surgery? I rarely get an upset stomach.

German gal getting healthy

kittykatzmom
on 11/23/08 11:12 am - Mason co., WA
I have only dumped once, and it was on no sugar added ice cream, it was  later that my daughter said it had 28g sugar alcohol, she ate the rest, as far as throwing up.... not nearly as bad as when I did before surgery when I would get the flu or something like that,  and I havent thrown up or had the foamies in over a month now,
Would I do it again...you bet  in a heart beat

~Cindy~

Helen_Anne
on 11/23/08 12:08 pm - Bremerton, WA

I rarely throw-up... while I did not throw-up my first month or so... as soon as a started eating more solid foods... that when I started haveing some problems.. but this was usually due to eating too fast or getting food suck.  I don't think I have thrown up for weeks.

Dumping... I have dumped once... it was early on... and I have never had any trouble since... but then I rarely eat sugar or bread or simple carbohydrates. Sometimes when I eat something with high sugar alcohols..I get a warm and my tummy doesn't feel good.

I am SO happy with my RNY...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

heyheyhey
on 11/23/08 12:12 pm - WA
It depends on you.  I had this sugery but even though I dump now, I would pick it over again.  I am also only 3 months out, so things like chicken, fried foods and fish do not agree with me anymore.  Dumping for me is feeling sick, I throw up, then I am all better. 
jillianD
on 11/23/08 11:42 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Did your friend have the RNY because it sounds like they has a DS.  For me dumping is a way to keep in check.  I can still have sweets but I need to be very careful what and how much I have.  Dumping is about a 40% chance, and is more about your bodys response to sugar/fat.

Now vomiting is a problem ( most of the time) when you are new out and learning how and what you can eat.  Most of the time is is from going to fast or not chewing well enough.  There is a learning curve, I haven't gotten sick in months.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

amm2008
on 11/24/08 5:51 am - Seattle, WA
Hi,

I had a lap RNY 4 months ago and I'm able to eat anythin.....sweets, fried foods, bread, rice, pasta, etc.  I've never vomited or dumped.  I've had food get stuck a couple times but that was because I didn't chew it well enough and/or ate too fast.    I don't know if it makes a difference if you have a tough stomach now vs what you will have after surgery.  I had a moderately tough stomach preop.

Alicia
vitalady
on 11/24/08 12:03 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I've only vomited when I've not chewed chewed well or didn't recognize what was not well chewed, and only as a rookie, pretty much. Long gone now.

Dumping with sugar, some do, some don't. Dumping is a set of things that happen when the wrong food hits the intestine without having been digested. Sweats, heart palpitations, sleepiness, nausea (but not vomiting--food is already out of the pouch), head and vision kinda fuzzy, cold hands and feet, dry mouth, sometimes diarrhea, but not always. Any one or all of those are dumping. Vomiting is vomiting, diarrhea is diarrhea.

I will dump if I'm silly. A few times I've done the math poorly on an item that would've been fine if taken in a smaller quantity. If I didn't have that penalty, no question, I'd weigh considerably more. Even with an intact dumper, I've had 3 regains, all due to SUGAR. So, what does that tell us if I had no reaction at all? (hint: this tells us that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer)

I've worked with about every surgery type that has been done since the 60's (early ones were done in 1954) and given a choice, I'd choose what I have again.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

lila_blume
on 11/25/08 2:33 pm - Olympia, WA
I can do without sugar most of the time. That would not be a big problem but I read that some throw up from drinking water.

German gal getting healthy

juicyprincess
on 11/26/08 1:04 am - Tacoma, WA

still pre op but throwing up water is not dumping, its either a chemical change that happens (and seems to go away, both my parents had issues with water early on but did fine later sip sip sip).

Dumping is most often attributed to simple carbs and some will say fats (my surgeon says carbs). There are classic sypmptoms, but it seems some people have lighter or heavier and variations of these symptoms. they do not consider this a negative of the surgery becuase it would cause positive behaviour change with negative consequence. My surgeon says "most" of his patients get dumping, though the official statistic is 45% (last i read). So more then likely you (we) wont get it. Most people who have RNY are hoping for it (seems to me).

You friend probably chose DS or the Miniswitch because they dont cause dumping, but there are other prices to pay. Statistically you will have higher malaborbtion issues (problems) with DS and stinky gas. The DS people say you can help this by...eatling low carb. I posted to them with questions about the noxious gas and most say they can control it by avoiding and limiting carbs BUT some did say..."I just carry spray in my pocket and spray my jeans because they absorb the stink if i dont"...If backed into a corner i MIGHT consider DS (medicaitons i take are contraindicated with RNY but trying to change them around now). But i would so much prefer RNY because of its dumping, because i dont want to "eat normal" (like now), i want to be health and eat healthy, I dont want to be too malaborbative, i dont want the potential stink (note distal and medial are are a statistically higher rate too but controlled again low simple carb). I want laproscopic surgery, i want something commonly done and seen (if something happened the docs in any ER should recogonize rny by now)

If your 2 choices are dictated by your insurance, and you dont want lapband, you have rny, a very popular choice. Dumping could be your best friend.

Most Active