I'm back!

maxs_mom
on 11/22/08 1:23 pm, edited 11/22/08 1:24 pm - Auburn, WA

Hello, everyone!

I just wanted to post a quick note to let you know that I am 3 days post-op and doing well.  As is often said in these parts, the first few days were the worst and now I feel I am truly on the mend. 

Surgery went very well.  I don't actually recall much after being taken from the general pre-op area to the surgical unit.  I recall lying on the table, arms out to my sides, the anesthesiologist talking to me and then the next thing I remember is being wheeled from recovery to my room.  I do remember finding my Mom's face in the waiting room as well as being pleasantly surprised to see Sassietigger, too!  I know that Nean also came by the hospital a few times, although we always seemed to miss one another.  I have posted some photos on my profile for those who'd like to see my CSI-esque post-op belly.  In addition to the VSG, Dr. Srikanth also repaired my hiatal hernia and an umbilical hernia (thus giving me, once again, an "inney" belly button – bikini season here I come!).

I have to be totally honest and tell you that I was completely miserable the first 48 hours post-op.  Much of that had to do with the fact that I have an extreme sensitivity to narcotics and until I was awake enough to insist that I be given only Tylenol and nausea medication, I was being pumped full of morphine.  The last dose of narcotics was around 9:00 PM day of surgery (roughly 8 hours post-op).  It has taken from then until today to get the residual drugs (anesthesia and pains meds) moved out of my system so that I feel somewhat normal.  The pain from the incisions is actually not too bad; it’s more uncomfortable than anything else, especially if I’ve been sitting in one spot for too long and have to jiggley my wiggleys to turn over or get up.  It's also not fun to accidentally step too close to a counter or have Max jump up into my lap (although he has been very good for the most part and I have a thick pillow  resting along the length of my tummy/abdomen when I'm in my recliner).

I didn't do very well with my liquids the first two days; again mostly because I was just so tired and felt so ill.  However, today I am back on track with 60 ounces thus far.  Today was also the first day I felt like walking further than up the stairs to bed or down the stairs to my recliner.  Joel, Max and I all went for a short walk this afternoon.

My Mom just left this evening.  I honestly don't know if I'd have done so well without her here.  It just felt good to have my Mommy.  Plus, she laid down the law to both Joel and Max and I think both of them are afraid of her (as they should be). 

It's been a good day, but a long day for me nonetheless, and so I shall end for now.  I really just wanted to let you all know that I am doing better every day; today is better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better than today.  I am as excited and as confident now that VSG was the right choice and it’s going to be the tool I needed most in my arsenal to achieve long term weight loss success!  I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the many people in this forum who have supported and encouraged me.  Thank you all so much!

Amy

Shelly W.
on 11/22/08 2:24 pm - Sumner, WA
Hi Amy,

So glad to hear that all went well and you are feeling better.  Now for the exciting part!!!

Talk to you later,

--Shelly
--Shelly

sassietigger
on 11/23/08 12:59 am
It's so awesome to hear that you are on the mend :)  Gives me hope that it won't be so bad for me. :)  You are amazing and so worth this..  I wish you all the sucess in the world :)

~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

Kathy H.
on 11/23/08 1:15 am - Kent, WA
ah, Amy!

It's great to hear you're doing so well.
Beetle
on 11/23/08 1:35 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

(((((((( Amy )))))))) so good to hear from you! Sounds like you're on the mend already, that is wonderful to hear.
I look forward to meeting you again - hopefully soon!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

jillianD
on 11/23/08 2:22 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Yea for you!!  Glad to hear you are doing so well. 
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Nicki H.
on 11/23/08 11:41 am - WA
Lap Band on 08/12/08 with
Hi Amy  Glad to hear everything went so well for you.  I thought of you on the day of your surgery  Thanks again for the protein shakes, I actually do like all but the strawberry ones and my DH likes those...  Quick recovery to you!   Welcome to the losers bench!

I delivered 6 weeks early a 5lb 15oz lil boy:)  After spending 2 months on bed rest in the hospital and Mason spending 11 days in the NICU, we're both home and doing great!  Mason is getting bigger and gaining weight like he should.  Now it's my turn to lose this weight!  It's tough to get back on the band wagon...I CAN do this!

Most Active