Different Dr's..

sassietigger
on 11/21/08 1:06 am
It just amazes me how different dr's can be, and the regimen they want you to follow.  Even when it comes to preop and hospital procedures.

I really adore my dr and think the world of him and am so thankful for him.  I am a bit more of a passive person, so when I hear others talk about "they don't have to do this or that" makes me wonder.  I will always do what MY dr recommends, and feel I made the right choice for me. (I need the stricter more rigid regimen).  But I still wonder why things are so different.

For example.  St.Francis tells you the day of surgery, no jewlery, no make up, no hair products, no lotions/creams, and no deoderant.  My friends hopsital just said no jewlery.  
                          St.Francis seems to recommend drinking right away after surgery with your little one ounce cups, my friends said nothing by mouth till AFTER the xray the next day to check for leaks. 

There are alot more differences, but it still just amazes me.  She is more aggressive and outgoing and it comes across that my dr is wrong and hers is right.  Well for each of us that's how it is, because like I said I will do what my dr suggests...

What have been your experiences / suggestions for me getting thru this. lol.
She lives in a diff. state.
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

jillianD
on 11/21/08 2:15 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Just say "I'll take that under advisement"  or just don't talk about it with her.  Your right every surgeons a bit different with their program, the only problem I ever have with that is far out post op stuff like vitamins and blood draws.  I think most surgeons aren't proactive enough with it. That is just IMOP though.  lol  Just let it slide, soon you will be over the need to discuss it because it will all be in the past.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Lisa B.
on 11/21/08 3:15 am - Bremerton, WA
I wasn't allowed to drink right after surgery. I had to wait until the next day so they could do a leak test by X-Ray. some docs do the leak test before they close you up. Like you said, all docs are different and each person is different. I didn't have to do a full liquid diet before surgery, by my friend did, for 5 weeks. That had to do with labs.

sassietigger
on 11/21/08 5:54 am
Thanks for your posts. 
It's still just weird to me. lol. 
~ Terri ~

Beetle
on 11/21/08 6:17 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

Terri, those difference have probably been my biggest problem with this whole surgery thing.
At times, I feel totally comfortable to "do as I'm told", but other times it does worry me when the treatment isn't just somewhat different, but often enough the complete opposite.

I have so often scratched my head, wondering who on earth to believe this time!

However, I'm finding this easier as time goes on. I think the trick is that I'm still here and kicking, and indeed feeling rather healthy. As I watch my health and my lab results, I believe I will be more and more capable of figuring out what is  good for ME, even if that isn't exactly the same as Dr Srikanth tells me. Other people survive different methods, too, right?

For now, I'll just keep plodding along, only slightly modifying my regime where I feel it is necessary and closely watching the consequences.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

nean
on 11/21/08 11:56 am - Tacoma, WA

I think you may have to tell her you just don't want to hear it.

Dr. S & Dr. O have there own special ways, that is quite true. And some of them I cannot find any scientific literature to support. So those I may be a bit more willing to push. I do have to say from a 'headology' (psychological) standpoint, when you break strict rules, you are more likely to break them just a little bit. So one of Dr. S's patients may feel like they had a guilty pleasure and got away with it because they ate just the beef out of an Arbys sandwhich, while a more liberal 'mind your carbs' preop dieter might decide they needed a whole pizza. By keeping it strict, he keeps people closer to the ideal.

Now the 5:30am waste of the whole day for an afternoon surgery - that I don't get. But I guess that way he can't be surprised by a whole tummy full of protein shake or sugar free red coolaid.

Nadean

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

Amy R.
on 11/25/08 8:22 pm
I too, have Dr. Srikanth and it does seem like he has a certain protocol from which he does not deviate.  But when I learned he had performed 2400+ weight loss surgeries, I figured he knew what he was doing.

That doesn't mean I have never second guessed him though.

And Nadean, I too am not liking having to be there at 5:30am even though you don't know what time you'll go in - all of that time at the hospital to sit & stress!  But his office staff told me it was because he doesn't want to be stuck standing around if someone decides not to show.  You wouldn't think that would happen often, after all you have to do to get to the actual surgery date, but who knows?

amy
Kay56
on 11/28/08 10:31 am - WA
Hi Nadean,
As I read the postings, I'm finding there are many descripancies between how each doctor directs their patients and found these inconsistencies to be a bit frustrating. I went to St. Francis today to self-pay for my upcoming surgery, on 12/3. I  asked the admittance person to  find my surgery time,  mine is at 3:30 pm. Finally, an answer!

In the coordination effort of Srikanth's staff to arrange preparations for surgery, the time was not revealed ; only to be there at 5:30 am.  If  they have the times of the surgeries why be so secretive about it? I think it helps the patient prepare and plan for that day. I do think it is ridiculus to come in at 5:30 in the morning when other surgerys only require check in about 2 hours before surgery.

I can't help but feel that this doctor does not take into account the patient's time is just as important as  his. I also spent over an hour waiting for my final pre-op appointment , no apologies. I work hard and my time is just as precious . He is an excellent surgeon and nice man, but I think he needs to check into the reality of the working person.    

Kay

PinkFlamingoes
on 11/24/08 11:04 am - Buckley, WA
Dr. Oh & Dr. Srikanth have very similar (if not the same) protocols . Some things may seem odd , but they both have had excellent results . It doesn't do any good to debate some things . For example , they both like their patients to use protein shakes . There are many people on the main board who's surgeons don't believe in shakes . They need to get their protein from "real" food . You will never get them to change their opinion about that & other things . Because their surgeon is right & your surgeon doesn't know anything . You would think there would be a tried & true blanket protocol .

I would tell your friend for the sake of your friendship , criticizing your surgeon& or his protocol is eliminated .

sassietigger
on 11/24/08 12:39 pm
Thanks for the responses again.  I just have expressed to my friend that her dr will be right for her and mine is right for me. to help each other with the exercise regimen and water and thats about it.  She is trying to support me with what she knows i need to do, by simply saying "how are you doing with your plan" and we leave it at that. lol.

I don't think she thinks her dr is right and mine is wrong, just different.  As long as we are both healthy and losing weight we can support each other over the miles.

Again, thanks for all your support.
~ Terri ~

Most Active