Psychological Exam, should I be worried?

ltrain98026
on 11/20/08 12:58 pm - Everett, WA

Can anyone provide me information on the psychological exam section of the process. People say that is not pass or fail, but have you been referred to further psychological services?  Pitfalls to watch out for?

Lisa B.
on 11/20/08 1:12 pm - Bremerton, WA
Not sure what other had to do, but I had to take an IQ test. he said it was to see if I was mentally capable of understanding all the after care. Plus we talked about my life, family and what kind of support system I have. Stuff like that. I have friends that were delayed because he didn't feel they had adequate support.

lisa
ltrain98026
on 11/20/08 1:17 pm - Everett, WA
This is all stuff that I want to learn.  My friends and family want me to be healthy and live a long life.  Putting the type II diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure into remission are reasons enough.

I guess another question would be what is the definition of quality support.  I have a wife and two young children.
Lisa B.
on 11/20/08 1:46 pm - Bremerton, WA

Support is an issue for me and most of my friends that are going through the WLS process. We are militray wives and our husbands go away. Most of us don't have family close by. My husband was able to fly home and be with me, but not every one can do that. You need some one at home with you the first few days if not longer.

ltrain98026
on 11/20/08 2:00 pm - Everett, WA
Luckily for me I would have my wife and kids with me all of the time.  We are rarely appart as a family.  It is good to know the support they are looking for is people that will be around you at home.
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 11/20/08 11:38 pm - WA
I think you ned to stress how good your support is, This will change your life and some people will be rude don't worry about them! Just think about how healthy and happy you will be! just a hint take lots of photos as you go on your journey. You may not think it is important but down the road you will be amazed in your changes. You may want to go to a support group meeting to talk to others who have taken thejourney. Good luck Merrilou
jillianD
on 11/21/08 2:22 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I think they wasnt to make sure you are capable of understanding the reality of this surgery.  That you don't expect to wake up skinny or that all your problems will go away once you have lost weight.

Good luck, it really isn't that bad.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Hislady
on 11/21/08 5:40 am - Vancouver, WA
Just my 2 cents but I would strongly urge you to get involved with a bariatric support group too. No matter how much your family loves and supports you only other bariatric patients are going to fully understand some of the things you will go thru. I love my support group, look forward to the monthly meetings.
cheryl D.
on 11/22/08 1:58 pm - bellingham, WA
Be sure you find a support group that the people have mostly had the same type of surg.  I had RNY and am happy with it, but i do not have anything against someone else, who has chosen a diffrent surg., but if the group has Dr.s comeing in trying to get busness for a diffrent kind of surg. and saying negative things about your kind and that it will fail is hard to deal with.  Also poeple sitting there eating candy and nuts and drinking coke dosn't  help.  Well, I stopped going and hey hey I wear a size 6 and some 4's and 8's and it is almost 7 years now so when does it fail?  They just gave me more  to worry about.  Just my opinin, but us over weight people and post over weight need to help each other to get the weight safly off and keep it off.  I will now get off my band box.  Cheryl
Shotrod64
on 11/27/08 7:19 am - Spanaway, WA
I made it through mine ok. I even had to get my lard bottom over the side of my car to get in it because someone parked so close to the driver's side and my other door is crushed. Thankfully in those cases it is a convertible but if the psych guy saw me making my get away he might of thought I was a real nut! Sure glad I didn't get stuck halfway over! LOL

It's a breeze you'll do fine.
Most Active