How did you choose your WLS surgery?

irocgal
on 11/15/08 10:19 am

I am reading about several types of surgeries, RNY, Lapband, DS.

I am leaning more towards DS.

How did you pick yours?
Thanks!

maxs_mom
on 11/15/08 12:46 pm, edited 11/15/08 12:47 pm - Auburn, WA

Don't forget about VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy aka the sleeve)!  After researching all procedures and evaluating my needs, I chose VSG.  My surgery is this Wed 11/19/2008

You pick based on what is best for you.  Every procedure has its admirers and detractors and pros and cons.  An important consideration is how much weight you need to lose and your co-morbidities.  One could argue that all weight loss surgeries'(WLS) are risky, but some are riskier than others in terms of the purely medical basis of possible surgical/post-op complications.  Also, if you have insurance, you need to find out what your policy covers, if anything, for the treatment of obesity.  It's sad to say, but many policies specifically exclude WLS or have very strict guidelines regarding eligibility and covered procedures. 

Talk to your primary care doctor, find some bariatric surgeons in your general geographic location (see
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/WA/a,doclisting/type,46/ for a list of surgeons in Washington) and attend the seminars (they're free).  Go to the different forums and read what the people who've had the various procedures have to say, both good and bad, and ask questions.   Do some online research.  A good place to start might be this surgery comparison chart: http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

I wish you the best of luck on your journey,

Amy

juicyprincess
on 11/16/08 12:54 am - Tacoma, WA
Depending on where you live, there are free seminars hosted by surgeons and you should REALLY start by going to one. The ones Franciscan Health holds always have pts from each surgery there to meet, they speak and you can ask questions. They explain all risks and how each one is different. The surgeon (once you are ready) will probably have some thoughts on what might be most sucessful. WARNING (according to DS'ers on here) some surgeons dont do all surgeries.
Learn all you can, THEN make a choice.
Helen_Anne
on 11/16/08 1:16 am - Bremerton, WA

I did not have much choice.. if i wanted it covered by insurance... I had the choice of RNY (open or lap) and Lap Band.

I choose Lap RNY... I am Very Happy with my choice ... I am down almost 50 pounds from surgery  and no complications.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Mdae
on 11/16/08 3:44 pm
i decided on a DS for a billion and one reasons, but the biggest one is that don't think i could handle 'failing' another surgery and wanting a revision later.  i've dieted enough, i want a surgery i can live with comfortably, with success.  i can follow rules, but a DS seems so much more forgiving than others, in that regard.
juicyprincess
on 11/17/08 12:15 am - Tacoma, WA
Way to go helen. You are doing awesome!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/17/08 7:50 am
I looked at all the pros and cons compiled in a list by another WLS person (and if you click into my profile, it is there) and read the medical studies and information that many of those stats came from.
Most Active