Avoid Dumping tips needed

hangokid11
on 11/14/08 12:44 pm - MT
I think I just had a  couple of dumping episodes in the past 2 days....nausea and stomach cramping  from a little too much orange juice (I think). Was reading up on it and I hope it doesn't develop into a problem.... Hope to avoid them in the future... any tips? I don't think it was the time of the month yet. But I wonder if it's from using the Miralax quite a bit for the past week due to bad constipation. I'm still taking the iron 3x a day with vitamin C. (making sure not within 2 hours of any calcium). Hope my system will get back on track soon. 
nean
on 11/14/08 1:35 pm - Tacoma, WA
Sorry you gad to go through that!! Sounds yucky.

From what I've read, dumping is from sugar emptying too quickly into the intestine. This includes natural sugars from fruits as well as all types of 'sugar'. No sugar (carbs) = no dumping

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

Katharine
on 11/15/08 5:27 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Ditch the juice.  It's WAY too high in sugar.  The only calories I drink are from protein.  Drinking calories is a slippery slope that I avoid in order to ensure success.
(deactivated member)
on 11/15/08 5:31 am - Bremerton, WA
Is it pulp free? It sounds like it might just be taking too long to digest??? Dumping is aweful! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Chris
hangokid11
on 11/16/08 4:46 am - MT
bjblue
on 11/16/08 3:28 am - Tacoma, WA

Yes, that does sound like dumping. As said by others, the sugars are doing a number on you. The doctor that I go to says no more that 6 grams of sugar in any one sitting. Look at the amount of sugars in whatever you are eating/drinking, and make sure there are no more than 6 grams. That should help. If you really want the juice, you will need to really dilute it down to almost 1/4 juice 3/4 water. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

BJ

hangokid11
on 11/16/08 4:45 am - MT
Geminidream
on 11/16/08 5:38 am - Spokane, WA
Another thing nobody mentioned is to watch your fat grams too.  I get a bit panicky if there are more than 3 in a serving of anything as that can lead to dumping for me.   Sugar alcohols also cause me to dump so it is a good thing helping me limit my intake of goodies like nsa ice creams or nsa candies.  Being a sweets and carb addict through and through I really need to have this built-in food police.  I only hope that it won't ever lessen to the point I get ****y enough to go back to old eating ways.  Of course there is no getting around those intestinal scilia regrowing and trying to take over the job the re-routed intestinal path used to do but I'm going to fight it to the end.

Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
hangokid11
on 11/16/08 11:09 am - MT
Geminidream
on 11/17/08 9:15 am - Spokane, WA
Scilia  may not be the correct medical term, it may be villi (Saw Jupiter6 post in reference to them too and used that name)...anyway they are those little fingerlike projections in our intestines that move the food along and 'grab' nutrients it to process into the bloodstream.  That of course is grossly exaggerated, I'm no doctor...this is just what I've picked up from support group and here on OH.  Anyway, over time the lower section of our intestines that are 'brought up' to the new pouch in the RNY procedure learn to adapt to absorb more of the nutrients and calories.  That is why some people stop dumping after time.   That then, becomes a good signal that you have got to get really DILIGENT with policing your own diet and not rely on the surgery.

The way I have always looked at it is this:  I needed RNY to get the weight off so that I could begin regaining my health.   But it won't KEEP it off...that is *my* job.  And I know from my first wls failure that without my local support group, food journalling, daily weighing, measuring my portions, eating off smaller plates and staying connected to people here on OH I lapse back into 'normal' thinking.  Except what was normal for me before was obesity-causing habits.  Not where I need to go at all!

Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Most Active