New here!

irocgal
on 11/15/08 10:27 am

Hi. My name is AJ.  I am thinking of getting weight loss surgery.  Just don't know where to go about it,. so I goggled, and it led me here. 

What do I need to know about surgery?  I have an appointment with my physician next month to talk with her about this.

AJ

Hislady
on 11/15/08 1:04 pm - Vancouver, WA
Probably one of the first and maybe most important is whether you have insurance that will cover any WLS (weight loss surgery), what their requirements are and if not you will have to self pay. Then you need to find a surgeon and see what requirements he has. The surgeon can help you determine the best type of surgery for you. You have lots to do and study before making a decision. I didn't have to choose because my surgeon would only do the lapband on me because of other health issues. Good luck on your quest!
jillianD
on 11/16/08 3:15 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
You need to find out which WLS surgery your ins will pay for and then do some serious research on each.  Go to some support groups, start logging you food intake now, do reduce it but IMOP you need to know what kind of foods lead you down the path to weight gain, it will help you choose your surgery.  How much weight do you want to lose?  Are you diabetic? Those are also factors.
You also need to be very honest with your self about supplements and weather or not you are willing to take a lot of them; all the time.  Don't get me wrong you will need to take some supplements for the rest of your life no matter which surgery but there is a difference in the amounts.
Good luck with your research!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

nean
on 11/16/08 3:23 am - Tacoma, WA
There are four major types of surgery. Lap Band, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, RNY (bypass), and DS (duodenal switch).

OH is a great place to read about them all. Be sure to go to the forums for each surgery and read, read, read!!!

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

Most Active