Sun 12/07/2008 Special Yoga Workshop "Introduction to Gentle Yoga" at Three Trees Yoga...

maxs_mom
on 11/12/08 6:49 am, edited 11/13/08 11:32 am - Auburn, WA

From www.threetreesyoga.com:

Exploring Gentle Yoga Workshop with Karen Schwisow
Sunday, December 7 from 1:30 - 2:30 PM

Feel good in your body now. Yoga is about nourishing and caring for your self in a gentle, appreciative way. It will cultivate a feeling of vitality in the body while encouraging the mind to quiet. Yoga has also been shown to relieve back pain, reduce stress, build strength, improve posture, open tight hips and hamstrings and create a feeling of well-being and confidence. It has also been associated with losing weight and maintaining that weight loss. Come and learn how yoga can enhance your health in a safe, supportive environment. No yoga experience necessary. All levels of fitness welcome. Mats and props provided. Wear stretchy, comfortable clothing. Its time to experience the many benefits of yoga for yourself.

Cost: $14 in advance, $19 at the door as space permits.  Call 253-815-9642 or visit www.threetreesyoga.com to register.

Last night I attended The Center for Weight Loss Surgery's special all procedure support group on the topic of Managing Holiday Stress.  This was my first real life support group. And I was pleasantly surprised.  Not only was the information terrific, but the presenters, Sandy Baird, PhD and Wendy Rawlings, M.S., were awesome and both specialize in bariatric issues/WLS in private practice.  I also enjoyed meeting other patients.  I met Beetle and she was very nice and helpful.

A large portion of the meeting was devoted to using yoga as a tool to manage stress, with the side-effect of strengthening muscles.  We even did a short breathing exercise (5-10 minute mediation) at the end of the meeting. 

I am having VSG a week from today and I know that exercise is a vital component of long term weight loss success.  However, issues of shame and embarrassment aside, one of the main things about which I've fretted is my actual ability to exercise.  I am super morbidly obese and mobility and stamina are real factors.  Additionally I suffer from chronic pain from Fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and Migraines.  I already do my own self-styled of deep breathing exercises and stretching.  Last night I made a commitment to myself to attend this special workshop with the knowledge that the facility has reputation for working with people who need modifications to standard yoga. 

Here's my challenge for everyone in the area:  I know it's a busy time of year but it's important to take time out to do things that are good for your body and soul.  Give yourself one hour on Sunday 12/07/2008 and join me at the gentle yoga workshop,

Amy

edited to change the day of the week to Sunday; my original post said Saturday - Thanks Nean!

nean
on 11/12/08 8:24 am - Tacoma, WA
Sunday December 7th
maxs_mom
on 11/12/08 9:55 am - Auburn, WA
Thanks Nean...I feel my brain and energy slipping again due to the clear liquid diet!  

The pot of gold at the end this time, though, is surgery!  Woot Woot - this time next week I will be sleeved!

Amy

jcheryld
on 11/13/08 10:39 am
I've been dong Power Yoga at my gym for a year, and it is an amazing exercise and de-stresser! I recommend all forms of yoga to my friends and family as a way to de-stress, re-gain flexibility, and gain core strength and endurance. Gentle yoga is a great way to start. Have fun at the workshop!
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Most Active