IRON

juicyprincess
on 11/11/08 11:47 am - Tacoma, WA
I have been low on iron before (my ferritin was low, but my circulating was normal). I take 2 iron tablets most days (when i remember). My question is, i am wanting to have RNY, i know iron deff is a potental side effect, will it rule me out? My labs are currently normal (all, well except cholestrol and triglycerides)...?Anyone know
sassietigger
on 11/11/08 12:02 pm
Hi,
I'm having RNY on 26th.  My iron was low, I just have to add suppliment and go in for 5 iron infusion treatments.  So I don't see why it would rule you out at all.
Good Luck
~ Terri ~
 Pre Op 293, Surgery 258, Current 163 Goal 150

jillianD
on 11/11/08 1:23 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I don't think it will rule you out but you will have to be extra careful in the future abou****ching your iron labs.  There seems to be a trend with post ops 5+ years out having real problems absorbing iron and having to get infusions.
About your iron now, get regular taking it, you need to be religious about taking your vitamins post op so its better to get in the habit early.  Also iron needs to be taken with an acid to aid absorption, some OJ, a chewable vit C or a small piece of fruit.  2 hours away from any dairy.  Calcium prevents it from absorbing.

Also consider adding a Vit D supplement pre op.  Studies show many of us are deficient so getting a jump on the game is a good thing!

Good luck getting approved, it is the best decision I have made!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

vitalady
on 11/12/08 7:38 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Which iron is it?
how are you taking it?

With vit C and some fruit or veggie?

not with:
caffeine
dairy
egg
whole grain
any other vites, minerals or meds?

where are the iron and ferritin currently? You probably will not build ferritin easily after surgery, so the time to work on it is now. We have successfully rebuilt ferritin, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve for us (I don't mind us being guinea pigs, for one).

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 11/12/08 11:09 pm - WA
I think you should talk to your Dr. with the questions you have. bad information is not good! Good luck. Merrilou
Most Active