info for lactose intolerant!

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/08 11:10 am - Bremerton, WA
Hello all, I just got home from the hospital this afternnon, seems all the cramping... I have been having I am thinking...is due to all milk products. So I want to know what are the best ways of protein for people like me and as far as soy, I would ike to stay away from that too. What is the best shake to get? I am in shock because I will no longer have cottage cheese yogurt or non fat milk to mix in for extra protein. please help me AGAIN, I am so glad I have this board to post questions. Thanks for all your support too and thoughts on my cramping!

Chris
auntie-boopee
on 11/6/08 1:55 am - Silverdale, WA
I use nectar protein with water and whey bullets and I mix in crystal light. and remember it is still early out and take it slow.  I hope you are feeling better.

Karen
hugs and kisses, Karen

highest/pre-op/current/goal
298/274/179/165
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 2:04 am - Bremerton, WA
Thank YOU. Sorry I have yet to call, been a mess lately. Will call ya when I am functioning. How are you doing? Miss chattin w/u! 
Hislady
on 11/6/08 8:56 am - Vancouver, WA
Remember there are products like Lactaid which help you be able to eat dairy. I have a friend who along with her son are lactose intolerant and she swears by it. I believe there are several other similar products. Also get on line and see if there is a group for it, I would imagine there is and they would have more info. I wish you good luck cus I don't know if I'd live with out my cheeses!
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/08 10:28 am - Bremerton, WA
Thank you sooo much! I will research. And yes, I miss cheese! OMY mmmm cheese! LOL
Geminidream
on 11/7/08 12:16 am - Spokane, WA
Chris, I had the same problem in early post-op days but the problem did resolve itself enough that I was finally able to tolerate yogurts and cheeses.  I never was able to comfortably drink milk but do well with the Lactaid products.  In those days I couldn't even tolerate the whey protein products because they are made from milk and irritated my gi system too.

For protein, find the Spirutein brand.  It is available here in Spokane at Huckelberries Natural Markets so you may have it at a chain like that.  Do you have Whole Foods or one of those types?  Anyway, that brand uses spirulina protein and is very well tolerated by people with lactose intolerance.  Plus, that company is SMART and sells all its various flavours in sample size packets so you don't have to invest in big cannisters on a chance.  I used to love the chocolate peanut butter but then I'm a chocoholic.

Good luck and feel better.

Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Michelle N.
on 11/8/08 11:38 am - Henderson, NV
I buy Lactose free milk from Lucerne. No more $$ than normal milk.  I had a bad experience years ago at a family xmass dinner with milk. I hadn't had any milk for about 5 years until I found this. I use it for my protein shakes and have no problems.
jcheryld
on 11/8/08 11:57 pm
I've been lactose intolerant for 7 years now. At first I wasn't able to eat any dairy products without terrible side effects, but after some time I have been able to tolerate cheese, cottage cheese, and some other products but never again can I eat yogurt or drink regular milk. I switched to Lactaid and Silk Soy Milk, and like the soy better. There is also Rice Dream, an alternative to Lactaid or soy.

The cramping is awful! Hope it is all resolved for you.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/08 3:09 am - Bremerton, WA
Thank you to all of you who have replied. It is so wonderful to have an online support!!!

Chris
Most Active