Virginia Mason

jlph62
on 11/3/08 8:59 am - Olympia, WA
I was just told by Group Health that medicare surgeries won't be until March or April.  I will be referred to Virginia Mason so I will not have to keep waiting (have been waiting almost a year since approval).  I was wondering about the program at Virginia Mason and the surgeons.  Also curious about pre surgery program
Thanks
Joanne
jcheryld
on 11/3/08 9:14 am
Hey there Joanne,
Check out my blog to see my experiences with VA Mason so far, and feel free to PM me or peruse my friends list- many of my friends are also VA Mason post-ops and have a wealth of knowledge about their Bariatric Center of Excellence.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

shadowgirl
on 11/3/08 10:03 am
Hi there!  My surgery date at Virginia Mason is 11/21/08!  So far I've had great experiences with the folks at Dr. Hunter's office at VM Federal Way.  I have my pre-op appts. on 11/4, so will learn more then.  Good luck!  SG
Helen_Anne
on 11/3/08 11:18 am - Bremerton, WA
I know a bit about VM program...

Two VM surgeons do all their cases open, the other 2 do them lap.  Three surgeons practice out of Seattle (Chang, Moonka and Thirlby) and Hunter is at Federal Way.  All surgeries are done at Virginia Mason Hospital.

Right now, Hunter is the only surgeon *****quires  a pre-op diet (mostly liquid/1 meal a day) for 2 weeks.

There are support groups at both Seattle and Federal Way.

You can PM me if you want any other information.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

jlph62
on 11/3/08 12:09 pm - Olympia, WA
Thanks for the info.  Which surgeons do the open surgery?  That is something I think I would like to stay away from if possible.  Also, are there any support groups in Olympia?
Helen_Anne
on 11/4/08 12:09 am - Bremerton, WA
No support groups in Olympia... Dr Chang (Seattle) and  Dr Hunter (Federal Way) do their cases Lap (if at all possible).

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

J-Mac
on 11/3/08 1:04 pm - Burlington, WA
Hi there,

If you are thinking about VM in Seattle, Dr Lily Chang (my Doc) specializes in lap rny, so you might want to give them a call up there... I have had nothing but great things to say about their entire team (surgeon, nutritionist and support).

My wife is going in next tues for hers with Dr Chang as well
Amanda T.
on 11/4/08 7:42 am - WA
Hey! I had my lap band done by Dr. Hunter at Virginia Mason! Everything went perfectly and has still been great for aftercare! He is one of the best in my opinion and have nothing but good things to say about him! :)

Amanda 
"impossible is nothing"

Most Active