HELP LOW IRON!!!!

hangokid11
on 10/31/08 10:51 am - MT

Uhmmm I've been reading on low iron..... and from what I read.... I'm  not supposed to take IRON with dairy???   pardon me if i am confused or rambling....   my level is 18   and uhmm they want me to take iron 3 X aday with vitamin C    where do i get the vitamin C?  I have to go out and buy them?  oh i'm so clueless..... 

nean
on 10/31/08 1:25 pm - Tacoma, WA
Check the labels when you are buying the iron. Lots of them have vitamin C already in them, or yah, get a vitamin c to take with it. Vitamin C is super cheap.

My understanding is that the iron inhibits the absorption of the calcuim from the diary. I don't think that the dairy impact the absorption of the iron. But I am frequently low. Try doing a search about the iron. Also, www.bariatriceating.com has a message board that has a specific section on supplements.

Sorry you are low - you should start to have lots more energy as your levels go up.

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

jillianD
on 11/1/08 2:36 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Yep you take the iron with c.  2 hours away from any calcium.  The calcium blocks the abosrption ofiron.  Vita lady has a very good chewable iron that is non constipating.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Starting Over
on 11/2/08 4:25 am
I have had bouts of low iron and take VITRON-C. It has 125mg vitamin C and 200mg ferrous fumerate iron. I haven't had problems with constipation taking it and I have to now take 3.
It's true, you're not supposed to take Iron with dairy.
vitalady
on 11/4/08 12:46 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Please note that Vitron C is only 66 mg elemental iron, as far as I know.

Iron is not taken with dairy, caffeine, egg or whole grain, another other vites, minerals or meds. Alone together with vit C. I prefer it with fruit or veggie to protect the pouch and to add a little acid that the iron likes.

In general all of the above, but iron does get along with copper, folic and B12, which is how most rx iron is formulated.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

hangokid11
on 11/2/08 5:40 am - MT
Uhmmm you are kidding are you seattlechick??   i"ve been taking the crushed iron (65 mgs) with super acerola plus vitamin C (500 mgs) with yogurt..... and that is no good????  OHHH HELP!!!!!
hangokid11
on 11/2/08 5:41 am, edited 11/2/08 5:41 am - MT
Oh, is it because  diary foods has calcium in it??? that's why it's not working??  the absorption of iron cuz of the calcium?
nean
on 11/2/08 8:50 am - Tacoma, WA
Yep, your yogurt is carrying that iron right on out the back door. So it's actually good news in a way - take the iron without the yogurt and your levels will probably go right up!

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

hangokid11
on 11/2/08 8:53 am - MT
sigh  wish i knew this before   so  best way to take it is with  what???
Annie B.
on 11/2/08 12:33 pm, edited 11/2/08 12:33 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Hey Kelly,

The best way to take iron is with vitamin c and water. Nothing else within an hour before or after. I usually take my iron before I go to bed. I have found the Tender Iron to be great - doesn't bother my system at all, and the price is great too. I get a big thing of Costco Vitamin C (chewables) and take it with the Vitalday Tender Iron.

Hope that helps! You're looking great by the way!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Most Active