Insurance for Gastric Bypass

RGMyers
on 10/29/08 8:55 am - Snohomish, WA
Is there any insurance company out there that covers gastric bypass, preferably in the state of Washington.  It seems that every insurance company I look at excludes that type of coverage.
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 10/29/08 9:28 am - WA
At one time Blue Cross did.Good luck
RGMyers
on 10/29/08 9:45 am - Snohomish, WA
Thank you Marrilou.
Starting Over
on 10/29/08 9:54 am
if you're looking for insurance through an employer, then it really depends on the employer. BCBS could cover it, but your employer could exclude it. I would definitely recommend looking at the OH insurance board. You can look by state and see what the majority of bariatric patients use for insurance.
good luck!
RGMyers
on 10/29/08 10:24 am - Snohomish, WA
Where on the board would I look for that info?  Thank you.
Beetle
on 10/29/08 11:58 am, edited 10/29/08 11:59 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/insurance/

Check out the navigation panel on the left hand side, you'll find links like this one:
www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgery+insurers .html

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

jodyvs
on 10/30/08 12:50 pm
It does depend on your employer...However, I know that Aetna does as well as they just covered mine...but that was only because my employer elected that option to cover.
RGMyers
on 10/30/08 1:05 pm - Snohomish, WA
Thanks for your input, it does help.  I had an appointment today with a Cardiologist because I have been having heart problems.  Tomorrow morning I go in for a Nuclear Stress test to see if I have any blocked arteries.  My Cardiologist highly recommended that I get a Gastric Bypass.  He told me that he had read in my record from my family doctor that he recommends a bypass as well.  So now I have my Cardiologist and family doctor who both think I need the bypass for medical reasons.
4myLIFE
on 10/30/08 3:54 pm - Puyallup, WA
It is going to be specifically up to the employer. The coverage that is provided is negotiated just  like car insurance. They pay for only the things they want.  The standard policy spelling out what and how bariatric surgery is covered is policy "309". The HR department should be able to narrow it down for you. Hope this helps.
Most Active