Support groups...

Dapme
on 10/26/08 1:53 am - kingwood, TX
Good Morning everyone. I am currently working towards my insurance approval, and I would really love to get involved with a support group. How can I find out when and where they are? I live in Des Moines and I am willing to drive........
Thanks !
Denise
Starting Over
on 10/26/08 2:05 am, edited 10/26/08 2:05 am
Hi Denise,
Does your surgeon have a support group? Dr. Chebli's nutritionist has one in the Northgate area once a month at Northwest Hospital. Also, I hear there's one at UW hospital.
Dapme
on 10/26/08 2:25 am - kingwood, TX
I actually have not meet my surgeon yet. My first visit will be a week from tuesday. Maybe I am jumping ahead of myself here. I will check with the office during my visit. Thanks!
Helen_Anne
on 10/26/08 3:24 am - Bremerton, WA
Denise...

Virginia Mason has a support group at their Federal Way Clinic on the 4th Wed of the Month 6 to 8 pm. 

St Francis has support groups too.. but I don't know when they are...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

sunnyinseattle1
on 10/26/08 7:41 am
Hey there Denise.   I live in Federal Way. I am going thru UW, so I participate in that one. Also I just went to one in Auburn a couple of weeks ago.  Merrilou hosts it. My surgery is in a couple of days, but you can feel free to email me, if you like.

Sunny

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 10/28/08 2:01 am - WA
Tuesday November 11th is our next Support Group Meeting in Auburn (6:30 -8:00 pm), We would love to have you join us! Call for directions. (253) 939-8865 Merrilou
nancy6
on 10/28/08 12:37 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Denise - Welcome to the Washington board and I wish you all the best in your journey to get insurance approval.  I hope it goes very quickly for you, but don't get discouraged...

It's definitely not too early to get involved in support groups.  Merrilou's group in Auburn is great.  I know St. Francis has some groups, too.  You can give their Weight Loss Center a call.  I don't know their number, but check out their website.  I think it's www.fhshealth.org.  Then you have to click on their weight loss program icon or something.  It's pretty self explanatory, I think.

What surgeon are you having?  Their office should have some info regarding support groups as well. 

Vitalady in Puyallup has a group that meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month and the next night (not always the 2nd Wednesday - depends what day the month starts on).  There is also another good group that meets in the Summit area (112th & Canyon - kind of near Puyallup) and they meet the 3rd Monday of the month.  Susan is the leader and it's an OH group.  The group name is Thru Thick n Thin.  That's another great group.

Also - be sure to get all the support and info you can from OH.  It's a great resource.  Don't hesitate to ask questions on the board - everyone is always willing to share their experiences and it's helpful to hear from so many different people.

Again, welcome and best of luck on this journey you're starting! 

~Nancy~

vitalady
on 10/28/08 12:58 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
We have support groups in Puyallup. Although I rarely invites guests, our guest wil be Dr. Ross Fox (our surgeon), a pioneer in the WLS field, having started in 1963. He's retired from the OR now, but he's still vitally interested in wt loss, maintenance, long term health. I'm hoping to get him to Q&A.

The meetings are at 7pm, Tuesday Nov 11 and Wed Nov 12. I asked him to come BOTH nights, but speak on different topics, as well as Q&A. He's in our hands.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Dapme
on 10/29/08 2:25 am - kingwood, TX
Thanks for all the info on support groups in the area! I will be attending a few! Denise
Most Active