Hello Everyone Newbie here

choose2lose
on 10/25/08 6:45 am - Puyallup, WA

Hi,
my name is Jennifer and I am residing in Tacoma/Seattle area.
I am new to this site and am looking forward to getting to know you folks.

After all the waiting between all those tests; I finally have my "life changing”, surgery date. It will be one week be4 Thanksgiving...LOL   I will have a lot 2 be thankful even if I cannot eat anything.

I have a question for you folks that have been there and done that. Even though I want this more than anything, I also am starting to feel a tab bit scared. IS that crazy or what? Oh one more question, prior to the 1000 calorie diet, did you find yourself wanting to just eat at favorite places and for a lack of a better words, just eat all and anything you desired?

Health and happiness,
Jen

Beetle
on 10/25/08 8:13 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

Hello Jennifer and a warm welcome!

Surely it is normal to be a little nervous, it is a pretty big step, after all.
Re dieting: I was told to lose 30lbs before surgery (I made it to 27), so no, I had to be good for weeks before the surgery already.
Low carb and high protein, then 10 days of liquids only before surgery. Then all the weeks of liquids and then pureed afterwards.......it was tough, but I made it through.

My surgery and recovery were super easy, and I have pretty much no issues.
I don't have any food problems, and I don't even dump.

I will cross fingers that you'll sail through as easily as I have, but that you get to lose the darn weight faster than I am.

Best of luck to you!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

choose2lose
on 10/26/08 1:10 am - Puyallup, WA

Thanks 4 the welcome, I will be looking FW to this new site. I have to do the 1000/day calorie starting Nov.7th, I hope I don't cheat. The Doc wants my liver to shrink, at that rate I could lose my # just sticking to the 1000 cal/day. One problem, it would come back as it always has in the past.  I am also glad to hear you surgery went smooth especially about the recovery! I know all we are different but one can hope.
Thanks again,

Health and Happiness,
Jennifer
=^..^=

scott54
on 10/25/08 8:54 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with

Jennifer - No, you are not crazy.  I was considering canceling the whole thing up to the point that they came and got me to go to change for surgery.  Most people have an urge to eat stuff they feel they won't every be able to eat again.  Many opt for a "last supper."  I know my surgeon said that I didn't need to lose weight for RNY, just not gain any more.  I opted to work hard on losing some by changing my diet and I am glad I did, it made the transition easier.

Good luck to you - this is a great forum, lots of nice people who want to help you.

Scott

choose2lose
on 10/26/08 1:33 am - Puyallup, WA

Hello Scott and Friends,

Thanks you for sharing with me, I never thought of making my "new eating habits" easier if I started be4 my pre-op diet. My doc wants the 1000 cal day diet  so I am starting to stock up on the few things that I can have during that time, it will be here be4 I know Nov.7th . I keep telling myself that I only have 12 more days until no more food, its all good!.

Health and Happiness
=^..^=

Jennifer

Also thank you : Jilly, Helen, Kathy, Nean, Cindy, and

Sunny; you have already lost 14 # since Tuesday....that’s like ....omg!!
But thanks for all your comments and sharing, I really appreciated that!!

kittykatzmom
on 10/25/08 9:02 am - Mason co., WA
WELCOME,  This a great site, Yes I did do a couple of LAST suppers, but I had no restrictions prior to surgery other than lose an additional 5 lbs, that was easy. I LOVE my new life, with restrictions and all,
Good luck, and keep us posted.

~Cindy~

lizzybear
on 10/25/08 9:03 am - Olympia, WA
Hi Jen and WELCOME!!!  What a great Thanksgiving treat! 

I had to lose 5% of my weight prior to my insurance's approval for me to have the surgery.  Once I met that, I didn't have to do anything else and my doctor didn't require a liquid diet or anything.  I still ate to try to lose a few more pounds in the weeks between my approval and my surgery date.  But I did go out with friends the weekend prior to my surgery and ate whatever I wanted that night.

You're not crazy!  I was positive I was making the right decision, but it was still a huge step to take and was scary.  I was scared up until the night before surgery, then was perfectly calm that evening, slept great, was calm all the way through until I fell asleep after I changed clothes.  They woke me up to let me know I was getting the relaxing shot and headed back to surgery, I just said ok and went back to sleep.  Next thing I knew, it was done and I was in my room with my husband and sister waiting for me to wake up.  I didn't have a lot of pain (was on Tylenol by day 2) and haven't had any serious complications.  The only issues I've had is two bouts of dehydration that landed me in the hospital - very important to keep the liquids up as much as possible as soon as you can manage to get them in.  But I was prone to dehydration before the surgery, too.  I'm just one of those people who can drink a ton of water, but it passes through quickly.  So, I have to stay more on top of it than most.

I wish you all the best and will be sending out good luck and speedy recovery wishes to you!!!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

nean
on 10/25/08 11:34 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi and welcome! I guess I had a bit of a goodbye in that I had a couple of evenings of picking up a hamburger on the way home from work this past week. But 30 days prior to my wish date for surgery is here already. And I won't know until Friday if I can get that surgery date. So I started the weightloss restrictions that my doctor currently recommends. At the moment it feels like I should be half way to goal if I eat that little for that long! It is SO different than anything I have been willing to start. And I have never, ever stuck to a diet like I intend to stick to this.

I am definately a bit scared.

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

sunnyinseattle1
on 10/25/08 12:03 pm

Hi Jennifer.

Im Sunny. I am having surgery on Tuesday with Dr Oshelegar @ UW.  Glad to here you got a date! Have you been to the UW support group yet? I have it is okay. I did go to the one in Auburn. I like it. 

I didnt do last meals before the start of my diet. My 1000 calorie diet is still going okay. I havent really done the last meal thing. I was considering it for tomorrow, but who knows how I will feel. :)  Good luck.

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

PinkFlamingoes
on 10/25/08 12:14 pm - Buckley, WA
Welcome , Jen . As you can see we've all been where you're at . It's normal to be nervous . I had to lose 30 pounds pre-op . I stuck to it religiously , except on my birthday , that year . I ate carrot cake after dieting for 1 month . I got so sick . lol . A lot of people grieve for their food & have last meals . I never felt the desire to do that , but I understand it . This is a very exciting time for you . Congratulations .

Most Active