Hospital stay

bear25
on 10/23/08 3:11 am, edited 10/23/08 3:12 am - chilliwack, Canada
Hi all my surgery is on Tues the 28th and i was just trying to get an average of the length of every one's hospital stay. I asked my surgeon and she just says it depends but as i'm from Canada i'd kinda like a generalization as the hotels for my mom to stay at are pretty pricey. Thanks all. Elisa Sorry i will be at Virginia Mason with Dr. Lily Chang.
spicymama
on 10/23/08 4:41 am - WA
Hi there,
Best of everything to you for surgery day!!!  I just had RNY last Wednesday and I feel wonderful.  But, the hospital stay was a drag.  I have a different blog elsewhere where I am documenting my stay if you are interested, let me know.
Anyway, my surgeon, Dr. Dally, at first said I may be released the next day...but then when Thursday came and the X-ray wasn't showing up by barium swallow very well, they wouldn't start me on liquids until they could determine if there was internal leakage.  Needless to say, they kept me until Saturday afternoon.  I am SO glad to be home and recovering better in my own home.  I am very independant and so being able to walk, pee, drink, etc here at home is much to my content!
I'd say on average you'll stay 3 days.  That seems to be the norm from what I've heard.  You gotta be able to pee, walk and pass that terrible barium swallow test! (Plug your nose when you drink it, I am not kidding!!) And then, when you do all those things, you gotta be able to drink the hospital protein stuff several times.

I'll be thinking of you!
Rebecca
scott54
on 10/23/08 5:04 am - McKenna, WA
RNY on 09/24/08 with

I had a lap RNY on a Wed and went home on Friday, so I was in the hospital for two nights.

Scott

Starting Over
on 10/23/08 5:55 am
I had surgery on a monday morning and was released on Wednesday afternoon for RNY
Helen_Anne
on 10/23/08 6:18 am - Bremerton, WA
I had my surgery at Virginia Mason also, I was told that Dr Chang keeps her patients in the hospital for  a minimum of 2 days. That being said... I had a different surgeon.. and I was out after one night (granted it wasn't until 4pm). 

There are 3 hotels within walking distence of the Virginia Mason.  The Baroness is the least expensive (they may be a discount to VM patients), the Inn at Virginia Mason (connected to the hospital... priced in the middle of the 3) and the Serento ... very nice ... can be very expensive.  The Baroness is across the street from the Virginia Mason's ER.  How long did they tell you needed to stay in the area after surgery.

Your length of stay will depend on how well you can move around the day after your surgery, if you can pee,  if you can pass gas or have bowel sounds, and how well you do on the clear liquid diet.  I was allowed to leave with just bowel sounds... never did pass gas in the hospital.  I was up walking the first night... then the next day I cruised the hallway about every hour.

If you have any other questions about VM... PM me.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

bear25
on 10/24/08 2:48 am - chilliwack, Canada
Thanks for all your replies. I just spoke to the hospital and they said 1 to 2 nights and that my mom could stay in the room with me. Oh and i don't have to stick around i get to go straight home yeah. It is about a 3 hour drive so i think we will be stopping every once in a while so i can get out and walk. So thankfully i only have 1 night in the Virginia Inn, the Baroness was booked. Getting excited now. Talk to you all after. Elisa
Beetle
on 10/25/08 8:16 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

I was only in hospital for about 20 hours after the surgery, and that was more than enough, thank you very much. Noise places, they are 

I wish you all the best for your WLS journey.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Most Active