a few questions about Dr Oh and conversion surgery

Kathy H.
on 10/20/08 4:36 pm - Kent, WA
I'm hoping at least some folks that poke their heads in here are patients of Dr Oh. I'll be at his informational meeting next monday. I'm wondering if you guys know how into conversions he is? Have any of you had a conversion with him? I *hope* to be going from a gastroplasty to a DS. I'm reading about how much riskier a conversion is than an initial surgery, and now I'm sort half thinking about dashing off out of state to get it done by someone that specializes in conversions and revisions.

Any experience, here, that I can draw from? I'd much rather deal with a local Dr, of course. And since I'm on the West side of Kent, Dr Oh is a natural choice. But his profile doesn't mention the number of revisions he's done, and says he's done only  10 DS procedures.

I'm guessing (hoping) his profile is simply out of date. Does anyone know?

WOW. I just did a google search to see if my original surgeon was still around, and found his OH page! Amazing, since it's been nearly 20 years. Do you suppose Dr Fox would still have my records from that long ago? I'll give his office a jingle tomorrow.

I'm rambling. Iv'e been saturating myself with information, and it's starting to flow out of my ears.

still, I'd love to know of any conversions with Dr Oh experience. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kathy
maxs_mom
on 10/20/08 8:01 pm - Auburn, WA

I'm relatively new around here.  My surgeon is Dr. Srikanth at St Francis.  I don't know Dr. Oh or any of his patients.  However, I can tell you that I am very impressed with the knowledge, friendliness, compassion and humor of Dr. Srikanth.  One of the only benefits of being self-pay is that I had my consult with Dr. Srikanth on Saturday afternoon.  And as soon as the bank opened this morning, I took a cashier's check to the office and picked out a VSG surgery date for of 11/19 right away.  I spoke at length with the office staff while I was there and they were all great, too.

You may already have this, but here's a link to the surgery center's website
https://www.fhshealth.org/droh/default.asp

You will get a very good idea of "how you like the doctor" at the seminar and be able ask questions.  And, you'll get even more information or as you say, more stuff to flow out of your ears.  But I don't believe that there's such a think as too much knowledge.

Best of luck on your journey,

Amy

Geminidream
on 10/21/08 11:06 am - Spokane, WA
Hi Kathy,
Can't really answer any of your actual questions but wanted to wish you the best of luck in pursuing your new surgery.  I had revision from VBG to RNY and it was a tough fight.  Took me years and years just to get a pcm to give me a referral to the surgeon and even then it took 9 months to convince him I was a serious, good candidate.  Got the same story about how much more difficult a revision surgery is, riskier, do I really know what I'm getting myself in for, wanting to risk my life yadda, yadda, yadda.   While I think they really mean that, in part a huge factor for the revision surgeon is whether or not he wants to waste his time and your insurance money on something that you may or may not make work.  ie: "You failed the first surgery why should I believe you when you say you'll do well with this one."  

In this state, you won't find that many drs with large revision history because they just prefer not to do them.  Around the country, there are surgeons who do more but if you have to worry about being out of area for your insurance that will be a factor.  

Now who's rambling?  Well, the very best of luck to you.  Stick with it and make your dreams come true.

Molly

Highest weight 268, Pre-consultation weight: 255, surgery day weight 230
Robin M.
on 10/23/08 3:46 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
Dr. Oh is very straight forward.  He is one of the best surgeons around.  I would make sure and ask him about his experience.  I had my RNY done by him and he is awesome.  His office staff, not so awesome, but getting better.  :)
Robin

PinkFlamingoes
on 10/24/08 1:42 pm - Buckley, WA
Dr. Oh does revisions , which this would be basically termed as , I imagine . And he does DS' . I'd set up a consultation . My roomate (& a Dr. Oh patient) , in the hospital , was a revision .

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 10/28/08 2:14 am - WA
Dr. Oh is the very best! VERY STRIGHT FORWORD and he is a great Dr.
Most Active