RNY, Does anyone regret having this done?

Annie B.
on 9/30/08 1:10 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Hi! I had a rough couple of months right out from surgery - but I don't regret it one bit! I have lost 117 pounds (6 of those pre-op) and I'm loving life. I have so much more energy. I can keep up with my kids a lot better (not totally - but then, they are 4 & 6 year old boys - they have TOO much energy). I feel better about myself and I am gaining confidence that I have never had before.  It has been an amazing journey so far, and it's exciting that I'm still on that journey!

Sometimes the food stuff is hard.  But then we are forced to find other ways to deal with stress and emotions other than food.  Of course it's not always easy, but it's healthy.

I also know a lady who had the surgery - she was hospitalized three times - once where her wound opened up and another with a blood clot...yet she says she would do it all over again too!

Just make sure it's something YOU want because you are the one who has to live with it for the rest of your life.  My mother is considering the surgery - and I've encouraged her, but one thing I always tell her is that it has to be HER choice. My grandpa (her father) died this past summer. One thing he said to her before he died was that if she could have the surgery, she should do it. That has been pulling her toward it quite a bit - her dying father's wish for her was to get healthy and have surgery. I still tell her - SHE has to make sure it's what SHE wants because it is such a big decision.  She has come to the point of saying "when I have surgery" instead of "if I have surgery."

If you are ready for it, it is one of the most freeing and life giving things! And just remember if you have bumps in the road - it WILL get better!  Just make sure you take your vitamins and get your protein. 

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

willfeelsogood
on 10/1/08 1:58 pm
Hi there! I did not have RNY, but had the DS. I have NO regrets getting WLS.
Wish I woud have done it years ago.
Research all & best of luck to you whichever you do.
vitalady
on 10/2/08 4:02 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I'll be 14 yrs on Sunday. RNY, distal.

While I was kinda pukey in the beginning, I was also kinda pukey pre-op. At 7 wks out, I decided that 50# down, I was better off pukey and lighter than pukey and full size. By then my asthma was gone and a few other issues already changing.

I never had any serious regrets. But I had a good surgeon and a good program, so I've not had many of the issues others have.

As for how I eat now, I do 6 protein drinks/day, 4-5 small meals. I can pick and choose what/how I eat. Only the volume is controlled. It's pretty simple in that if I eat sugar, I gain wt. If I don't, I maintain my weight. Simple formula.

I was never a grazer so I don't have to fight urges to eat. I was and will always be a volume eater, so I have to work to remember to eat the many small meals. But having to space my eating is better than going for weeks on end with no food at all. This is easier.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active