RNY, Does anyone regret having this done?

lady_tonya
on 9/27/08 5:06 am - Lake Stevens, WA
I am doing all my prep work prior to surgery. I try to pick and choose who I tell about my decision to have the RNY done. People who don't have the info. on the procedure are worried about me doing it.  I was recently talking to my chiropractor who said he knew of no one who did not regret their decision to have this done.   Mostly because of how they have to eat after surgery. Please let me know,  I feel confused. Plus I am struggling with the low carb diet now any suggetions would be great.  Does eating get easier after surgery?  Eventually?  Thanks
Helen_Anne
on 9/27/08 8:55 am - Bremerton, WA
I am only about 5.5 weeks out from RNY... and I don't regret my decision... I am losing weight.. and for me I am not having any trouble with the low carb diet.  For me... sweet things really don't have any appeal to me.  I hope this non interest in sweet things continues!

Good Luck with your decision process.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

kittykatzmom
on 9/27/08 10:06 am - Mason co., WA
To be honest, I regretted it for the 1st 1 1/2 mos. it was very hard to get my fluids in. Now at almost 6mos. out and down 88 lbs I have NO regrets, I have never dumped, I use real sugar in my rare cups of decaf coffee, I actuall tried a small piece of choc. and Hated it....... pasta doesnt like me much after about 1 bite, so then I stop.  Some people say thaey wish thay had done this years ago..... not me,   I wasn't mentally ready for it, would I do it again now ... YES
I chose not to tell anyone that I thought would be negative towards it, and after wards to bad. I did it for me, not them.    Good luck and know thare is lots of support here.

~Cindy~

PinkFlamingoes
on 9/27/08 12:14 pm - Buckley, WA
Even , when I was early out & struggling with getting in my protein & water , I've never regretted it . You will most likely struggle , at first . Almost everyone does . It's just part of the process . I can't think of any food that I can't have if I really really want it . In the beginning , I felt more restricted . But didn't regret it . As a matter of fact I appreciate it more now , than early out . Even at 2 years out  (tomorrow) I rarely get stomach growling hungry . Usually only when I'm pre-menstrual , for some reason .

Susan H.
on 9/27/08 12:28 pm - Sedro Woolley, WA
RNY on 09/25/07 with
Hi Lady Tonya....

Welcome! You have come to the right place to ask your questions and get HONEST answers!! I can only speak for myself, but think I can honestly say that everyone who has any sort of WLS has had ALL of those feelings and questions you are going through.

The decision to get WLS ( I had lap RNY in Mexico! Talk about giving something for people to talk about!!!) was a very serious decision and not taken lightly at all. Research, research, and research some more! Education is priceless!! Everyone has chosen a surgery type that works for them and, for the most part, will say that their surgery is the best.  Don't buy into that. Do what is right for YOU!!

And as for telling people about it... well....I chose to only tell certain people for a reason. Because people that have heard negative things about WLS will jump at the chance to tell you all the details. If you did your homework, you know about all the pro's and con's of WLS so you don't need to hear it from people who aren't educated on WLS. I told my family, but only right before I left for Mexico. No need for them to worry, or have time to try and talk me out of it (because they care of course) and I only told my supervisor at work. And only her because I needed to be honest for the time off of work. I only took 2.5 weeks off and easily could've been back sooner.

I'll be honest here....I'm a year out, 126 pounds down and 7-8 sizes down!!! It's unbelievably awesome!!
BUT.....it's not been easy!!!  WLS is not for people who are not 'there' yet. Where is 'there'??? You know when you are 'there'. You are ready to have surgery NOW! You are willing and able to do what it takes to get all the tests done....NOW! The pre-op diet is NO problem. In fact...it's exciting because you have your eyes on the prize and you are ready to get your life back on track.
People who are not there have so many issues pre-op. They hae bad dreams, feel like they are losing their lives, and have MANY last suppers. They tend to be the ones that are looking for a 'cure' and something easy.
Well WLS is neither a cure, nor easy! But it's doable!!!
YES....everything changes in your life! IMHO, It changes for the better!!! I was SO ready to stop my self loathing behaviors and take care of myself.
My first few months were rough. Good days and bad. Energetic and exhausted. I realize now, that a lot of the bad days were me learning about myself and my relationship with food. You don't realize how much you wolf down your food until you have WLS! Man-O-man....I seriously had to learn to SLOW down and take smaller bites! OUCH!! Many, many painful meals. (I guess I wasn't a quick learner!)
And of course....the best part....the scale starts going down...down...down! And your clothes get baggy! It's the best feeling in the world!!! Over the post-op months you learn so much about yourself. You have to listen!! And then there is OH!! The best place to find help find comfort when you need it.

So....with all that said....do what is right for you! Do your homework! That is my advice to you.

I live pretty close by to you and would love to meet with you for coffee or something if you would like. I'm here if you need it. I had a few people who were my angels pre-op and I like to pay it forward as well.
IM me if you like and I'll give you my home info.

Best of luck to you.

Take care,
Susan
=0)

Susan H.
Start: 322/ Current: 190+ .  7 yr post RNY
***I lost my bookmark to my ticker so it doesn't reflect the correct numbers*** 

EricW
on 9/28/08 1:36 am - Kettle Falls, WA
Like the others have said, you can't do too much research.  It took me 5 years to finally get to the point that I actually put an X on the calander.  You should look at all the weight loss options available depending on how it will be paid.  Each has its own traits that seem to fit different peoples desires, and life style.  You really should look at them all and attend support group meetings for each type of procedure (RNY, DS, Lap Band, etc.) to see and talk to real people about how the procedure has changed their lives.  See how they eat, how much they have lost, and what if any issues they are having. 

These boards are a great place to start with your many directions of discovery prior to a very life changing surgery that you should believe in 100% before you have.  Good luck with your journey and be sure to use all the people available to you.

I am not a Doctor, but I have played Doctor a LOT.....Good luck.  EW
shymomma
on 9/29/08 1:04 am
I am in your shoes. I have decided to have the RNY and I am waiting for my insurance to approve me. I feel confident about my decision one minute and then second guess myself the next. Some people are supportive and some are trying to talk me out of it.  My suggestion would be to read books and go to support groups and seminars. I have attended 3 seminars from 3 different surgeons and learned new things at each one. A great book I am reading for the second time is Weight Loss Surgery, Is It Right For you?  (By Merle Cantor Goldberg, George Cowan)   I got it at the library.
Also, I have two brother in laws and one sister in law who are all 1-2 years out, who don't regret the surgery.
Good luck
lady_tonya
on 9/29/08 5:04 am - Lake Stevens, WA
WOW, Thank you all for your replys and candid responses. I appreciate so much hearing from you all. It is truly great to feel the support of others who have been through, or are going through what I am. 
amm2008
on 9/29/08 6:10 am - Seattle, WA
I'll be 11 weeks out tomorrow and I don't regret my decision.  I haven't ever regretted it completely however there were times in the first few weeks when I wondered why I did it and if it would get better.

The first 5 weeks were the hardest part.  I didn't feel normal and was still unsure about what and how to eat.  Since that time I've gotten more of a handle on how to eat and luckily have not had any probs with what I eat.  I feel normal on most days and eat pretty normal.  Luckily (or not) I don't dump on anything.  I've had a small cookie or piece of candy here and there and the sugar didn't bother me. 

I still miss food though.  I don't really crave it but I miss having it.  It's a little irritating when I get full after eating so little but still want more b/c it tastes good. 

I have carbs now but of a healthy type.  My carbs come from fruits, milk, potatoes (about 1 oz per day a few days a week), and whole grains (1/2-1 svg per day or less).

Good luck!

Alicia
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 9/29/08 12:04 pm - WA
I am 6 years out and would do it all again! It sounds like you need to attend a support group meeting and talk one on one. Our meeting is Oct 14th. at 6:30 in Auburn. If that dose not work call me and I would be glad to talk1 Merrilou (253) 939-8865
Most Active