need Support Group updates

hangokid11
on 9/23/08 4:46 pm - MT
I've been reading and I would like to find out what support groups we have and what days and times.   One I know for sure that meets at Merrilou's on the 2nd Tues of every month (Oct. 14th) from 6:30 to 8 pm but I'm seeing some stating "see ya thursday"  --- where is that and what time ??  Would appreciate the info. Thanks!
Helen_Anne
on 9/24/08 1:08 am - Bremerton, WA
Kelly...

Virginia Mason has 2 support groups, one is the first Thursday of each month in Correa B (behind the cashiers in the  Hospital Cafeteria) and the second is on the last Wednesday at VM Federal Way in the ASC lobby.  Both meet from 6 to 8pm.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

nancy6
on 9/24/08 9:19 am - Tacoma, WA
Helen - Are the VM groups open to anyone or just VM patients?  I live in NE Tacoma and would like to try to FW group if it's open to all.  Thanks!

~Nancy~

Helen_Anne
on 9/24/08 2:25 pm - Bremerton, WA

It is open...but the focus on VM patients.  I went tonight and a guy who lives in Kent and had surgery in Kirkland came. There were only 8 or so people.  Its run by the Bariatric Physicain Assitent.  Tonight topic was Hunger...

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

nancy6
on 9/25/08 1:59 pm - Tacoma, WA
Thanks for the info.  I may try to make it next time...

~Nancy~

nean
on 9/24/08 3:53 am - Tacoma, WA
Ya'll have probably answered this question a thousand times; Can preops come to the support groups? Do you have to be the patient of a certain surgeon to come to a support group?

"be willing to sit in the middle of the fear and fucking feel it." Lady Raven
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/gay_lesbian_bisexual_transgender
VSG 12/9/08  Highest 278, then lost #30 preop Goal 126 

hangokid11
on 9/24/08 4:57 am - MT
That is a very excellent question....  some support groups ---  informal ones like Merrilou's, I've seen both pre ops and post ops attend.    the Virginia Mason support group are for those who are having/or had surgery at Virginia Mason --- they strongly suggested it's mainly for postops and space is limited.  I'm curious about the others.....  I remember Vitalady said that she was trying to revive a lapband support group ?  So there are specifications as to whether pre op,  post op, RNY,  lapband, which dr, or facility, etc.  so I'm hoping to find out all the answers.
Annie B.
on 9/24/08 6:08 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Kelly!  Michelle (aka Vitalady) has her groups on the 2nd Tuesday and Wednesday each month. That's in Puyallup.

Susan leads a group on the 3rd Monday each month at the Summit Branch Library (I think).

Then there's the Madigan Support group that meets at Madigan every Thursday from 5-7pm....that's probably the one where you see us saying "see you on Thursday."

Hope you can find a great group to get to regularly...I just LOVE having my weekly Madigan group - and so sad this is my very last week to be there!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

hangokid11
on 9/24/08 8:44 am - MT
Ok, Vitalady has her groups---specified for RNY, lapband postop or preop? 

Susan has her group    specified for what? or is it open to everyone?

The Madigan support group--- is it only for  Madigan patients? or open to everyone?   

sorry for all those questions but i'm sure others are curious too!
nancy6
on 9/24/08 9:24 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Kelly - Vitalady's group is open to anyone, pre or post op and any type of surgery.  She tried a third night for lap banders only for a little while, but discontinued that at this time.  Her group meets the 2nd Tuesday and the following day (usually the 2nd Wednesday, but it depends on what day of the week the month starts).  In October her dates are 10/14 and 10/15.  So for October it's actually the 3rd Wednesday.  :)  Confused?  I hope not...  I agree with Annie that the support groups are invaluable!  I also understand that St. Francis has a group that meets at noon but I'm not sure the exact day.  You might check out their website or call the St. Francis Weight Loss Center for more info.  There used to also be a group at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tacoma that also met the 3rd Monday (same night as Susan's group) but I'm not sure if they still have it or not.

~Nancy~

Most Active