Reunited............and it feels so good

EricW
on 9/22/08 9:55 pm - Kettle Falls, WA
Hello All:

Looked like it was time for a new thread.  Here's my story.  I am just over a month post op with a Lap DS from Dr. Rabkin.  The procedure and recovery have been a breeze.  I am finally able to take bigger drinks of water without feeling like I am trapping a golf ball in my gizzard.  I am a big/tough guy and always have been, I must say that this whole sip sip thing has put me more in touch with my feminine side.  It was a nice visit, but I am glad to be back among the He-Man gulpers again.

I have also come to quickly realize that a lot of the eating I was doing (pre-op) was just a mass production of intake.  When I get around friends or talking I have noticed that I don't chew my food very well which results in a feeling that I have a 43lb turd stuck right in the top of my craw, my mouth starts to water uncontrollably, and if I dont get up and start walking around I just might loose it.  I have only had this 3-4 times and that is enough.  I am so aware of chewing my food well now.  The upside is now I know where my saliva glands are, they are under my tongue and they actually squirt right before I feel sick.  This was/is wierd to me.

Other than the above, I have had no real issues at all.  There has been a change in my bathroom experience that I can sum up in 1 word and leave to your imagination....Playdough.  There is also a little bit of a masculinity hit that comes along with Playdough.  Enough said.

I am down from a high of 425 to a surgery weight of 365 to todays weight of 322.  43lbs that I will not miss.  I am on my last pair of basement stored pants that I never wore.  I did have a descent supply of shirts that were gifts and prizes over the years that were always 3x when I was a 5x.  Glad I packratted them away.

My biggest and best surprise, and basis for my "reunited" title came a few days ago.  I got out of the shower, toweled off, hung up the towel and just happened to look down and there they were......my feet.  OMG, I hadn't seen them since a bad snowmobile wreck in 2001.  They looked great.  All the toes were right there, I could see them wiggle, I could see that they hadn't been trimmed in months, these were all good things.

I did the happy dance for the next 10 minutes while I was getting ready.  then just for verification, I jumped on the bed, layed flat, looked down and they were still there.  So it was true, I can and will forever be able to see my feet.  I can't tell you how refreshing this is.

Imagine the possibilities, imagine the other reintroductions I have to look forward to with long lost friends (pardon the pun).  This has no doubt been the best decision I have ever made in my life.  The possibilities are endless.  I might go buy a mountain bike.  

There is still lots or road left ahead in my weight loss journey, and no doubt there will be some challenges, but for now, things are just coming up roses (pardon the pun again) and I couldn't be happier.  Thanks to all who have used these boards to tell their experiences that I always draw from, and thanks to Laura and the Seattle support group where I got to meet lots of folks, hearing/seeing their life styles sealed the deal for me.  Also thanks to Michelle and Vitalady.com for all your efforts in the name of keeping us healthy.

Thats all for now, I'll report back if I see anything new....EW
kittykatzmom
on 9/23/08 2:30 am - Mason co., WA
I love your post, I too was very happy when I could see my toes without bending over, feel my hip bones again, its been 20 yrs for that, just wait there will be plenty more exciting highlites on your journey to a new you.

~Cindy~

Susan O.
on 9/23/08 2:31 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with
Good for you Eric! So glad to hear you have no regrets and are loving your "WOW" moments! If you haven't, please take your measurements so when the weight loss takes a break (as it will), you will still be able to see the change in inches lost and not get frustrated.
  Keep those toes happy dancin"!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Annie B.
on 9/23/08 3:31 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Congrats! What a great feeling!  Keep up the great work!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

NWScottie ..
on 9/23/08 3:35 am, edited 9/23/08 10:47 am - WA
Eric,
Good to hear from you!  Sounds like you are doing FANTASTIC 

On the note of "I could see that they hadn't been trimmed in months,"  You might want to stop and have a pedicure so that they will just sparkle and dazzle you and you can keep your happy dance going    And don't worry, PLENTY of men get pedicures, so your manly manhood won't be harmed at all

Stacey   

Hislady
on 9/23/08 4:17 am - Vancouver, WA
If you aren't already a writer you really should start because you can certainly spin a yarn! Here's to all the many other new "parts" you will discover!
Helen_Anne
on 9/23/08 6:38 am - Bremerton, WA

Eric...

You definately need to write a book... I think more guys need to hear your story and your experience.

Congrats on your successes!

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Beetle
on 9/23/08 10:43 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Thanks for the giggle  :-)

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

PinkFlamingoes
on 9/23/08 12:41 pm - Buckley, WA
Hey Eric . You are hilarious . I look forward to your posts . I'm glad you're doing so well . Where was your wife when you were doing all this jumping & dancing ? Was she ready to call for the guys in the white jackets ? lol . I'm glad you got over the sipping . Luckily I have always been able to chug my water pretty fast . Was your consultation weight 425 or 365 ? I go from my consult weight . You lost the weight , take credit . Take care & keep making us laugh . We need it . Kathy

on2anewme
on 9/27/08 8:35 am - Vancouver, WA

Your story was so fun to read.  You need to write a book from a he-man's point of view!!!  I'd still read it if it was as good as your post!
Here's to continued success, and lots more posts to entertain us sippers!

Highest: 292 / Surgery: 246 / Current: 182/ Goal 150ish ??                              
Most Active