Surgery in 5 weeks, What VITAMINS should I get/buy/or NEED??

sunnyinseattle1
on 9/21/08 6:58 am
Hi all. I am having my surgery in 5 weeks or so, and I dont know what Vitamins I should buy. I tried to bring it up at my support group in August....... but I felt I was pushed aside for a person with an upcoming surgery and they needed the time to get there questions answered. SO now I am not prepared. I know, I know, it is 5 weeks away. I dont want to forget. I have pda's, calendars, and my hubby to remind me, but if I dont know what to buy, then how am I to take them...lol I do realize everyones body is different. Can someone be nice and give me some help?  Is GNC cheaper or Super supplements? I have never bought vitamins before.

I have been away from the board, because I was getting a wee bit burnt out on another message board with someone elses issues. Frankly, it seems this person mad a bad decision on surgery, or is just a complainer. Who knows! SO I stayed away for awhile. Now I am back on OH, not the other msg board.

Sunny

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

jillianD
on 9/21/08 8:37 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Don't worry it will come!  You want a good multi-vitamin in a chewable or liquid, you will need to double the adult dose.  I use centrum chewable (silver is even better if you can find it), sublingual B-12 1000mcg( I like trader joes) and calcium citrate. Chewable too if you can find it.  You want to make sure its the citrate because the carbonate doesn't abosrb as well for us after surgery, you also want to get in1400-2000 mg's.  Watch the serving sizes on the back of the bottles!  They are very tricky.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

jcheryld
on 9/21/08 11:09 am
Do those "Vitamin Water" bottled waters help meet vitamin needs? I've tried to do some research online but it's not real clear what the verdict is for WLS folks.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Hislady
on 9/21/08 11:20 am - Vancouver, WA
From what I've read in some recent magazine articles they aren't all they are cracked up to be. My personal opinion is we should take a good multi vitamin (I prefer Bariatric Advantage) my surgeon says Centrum Silver Chewables twice a day are fine. The vitamin waters would be OK for an additional vitamin source but I wouldn't consider them a good multi vitamin, besides they are pretty expensive for a bottle of water. Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.
Susan O.
on 9/22/08 5:24 am - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with

HI Sunny!
    I PM'd you some info, and also read my reply to Kathleen's post "bariatric eating.com"
You don't need to sweat it too much right this minute, but do at least get some chewable multi's & calcium and subligual B-12 to have right away.
    The most important thing is to remember you are going to be supplementing FOR LIFE!  and I mean that both ways! You will always need supplements, and you could die without them! 

Best wishes to you!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

sunnyinseattle1
on 9/22/08 9:31 am
Yes, dieing is not what I want. Thanks for mentioning it.

I will check out the few websites I was given. Thanks all.

Sunny

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 9/23/08 8:33 am - WA
Sunny, You should ask your Dr. What he wants you to take, Most have a list. Our support Group meets Oct. 14th in Auburn. Come join us and you should get your questions answered. Call me for directions. (253) 939-8865 Merrilou
sunnyinseattle1
on 9/23/08 9:29 am
Merrilou,

Hi there. I dont have an actually doctors appt with my surgeon until after my surgery date (11/10). I havent been told anything by the doctors. I was told only about 1000 calorie pre-op diet.  I think I might come to your group on the 14th. I will call you to get directions.

Thanks

Sunny

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200

Most Active