I SOO DID NOT NEED TO READ THAT!!

NWScottie ..
on 9/10/08 1:30 pm - WA

OK...  I KNOW this is a reality, but really I did not need to read about the stats on people dying this close to my surgery   (It was in the other RNY forum.)  So what can I do for the next few days to keep my mind off of it  

Stacey   

Lisa B.
on 9/10/08 1:53 pm - Bremerton, WA
Think about all the positive changes you are making in your life and all the things you will be able to do that you haven't been able too. I have actually gone for a ride with my DH on his motorcycle. There was no way I would do it before surgery. I haven't taken a bath yet, but I am looking forward to being able to have the water flow around me instead of having to be on my side so the water can get passed my thighs.

Hang in there, only a few more days!!!
PinkFlamingoes
on 9/10/08 1:58 pm - Buckley, WA
Stacey , Overall , your likely hood of dying during WLS is very small , these days . My surgeon has only had one patient die (after surgery) . And it was many years ago . The death was largely because the patient didn't follow post-op protocol . St. Francis hospital staff told me all of this . You can do your best by being a good patient . Walk often , in the hospital . I had an open RNY & insisted on walking 2 hours after getting in my room . I was bound & determined that if anything happened , it wouldn't be my fault . I had 100% faith in my surgeon . Stay off the other boards , until after your surgery . Look at the befores & afters . Pack & unpack your stuff . Post on the Washington board . You'll get through this . {{{HUGS}}} Kathy

Susan O.
on 9/10/08 3:36 pm - Tacoma, WA
RNY on 06/27/07 with

I agree with everything that Kathy said! And also, being my naughty self, I do have to say, "Don't worry about dying - you won't know it anyway!" (Okay I'm slapping my own mouth!)

It is perfectly normal to feel anxious - this IS a big deal, but we are all here to tell you we wouldn't go back to being "MO" for anything!

Hugs and prayers for you!

Susan 

www.obesityhelp.com/group/ttnt/

RNY 6/2007   120 pounds lost - GOAL!!

Beetle
on 9/11/08 12:43 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia

You could step outside and get run over by a bus. So should you stay at home all the time?
Wasn't is somewhere in Oregon recently where a plane fell on a house? See.... you just never know.

But chances are pretty darn slim, so why worry about it. On top of that, neither the plane nor the bus really cares about you, but the surgeon and everyone else REALLY REALLY wants you to do well - it looks much better on their record that way  ;-)

Everyone will do their very best, so your chances are excellent!

Go distract yourself with something fun  :-)

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

Helen_Anne
on 9/11/08 1:26 am - Bremerton, WA
There are many doctors doing WLS who have not been trained well... or are very experienced... Your doctor has been doing WLS for a long time... and IS very experienced. 

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

EricW
on 9/11/08 3:35 am - Kettle Falls, WA
Here's the deal, if I didn't die (and I didn't) there is no way you could.  I am the most unlucky, unfortunate, Murphy's Law camps on my shoulders kinda guy that ever walked.  When I read the 17,000:1 odds I fugured I was doomed.  After watching my day trader friends make huge bank in the markets of the late 90's I decided to jump in big and share in the wealth.  The market crashed the next day.  I decided to get involved in a Christmas charity that delivers gifts to kids in remote areas and I draw the only recluse dad that had a shotgun waiting for Communist Santa.  I honestly almost got shot singing jingle bells.  I have been on a bridge that collapsed, I had the Firestone tires that came apart at 60 mph, even my first class flight to SF to have the surgery was grounded for mechanical issues and we had to offload and fly a rattle trap plane all the way just to get there on time.

I had no doubt that I was going to be some sort of statistic.  The bottom line, it went great.  If I had known that the surgery/recovery was this easy I would have had it every time my back got bad.  Those times were way worse.  As long as you and I don't travel together or I'm not in the OR, you will be fine.  I did save my lucky gown if you want to borrow it.  With it you can simply look down the front and see what your post-op menu will be for the first few days.  I also used magic marker to write "don't wake me up to see if I'm OK, I am" on the front.  I got lots more sleep after that.

On a serious note, I made every nurse and visitor use hand sanitizer before entering the room.  I posted that message on the door as well.  I may have been a pain in the butt to them, but I also had zero infection or virus issues so I'm glad I drew that line in the sand.  After the first day they were all doing it on their own. 

If you really feel the need to worry, think about all your big clothes and that they will all need to be replaced.  Thats about the worst of it.  Good luck in your journey, just the fact that your talking about it tells me you'll do fine.  Take care.  EW
PinkFlamingoes
on 9/11/08 11:32 am - Buckley, WA
Eric , you are too funny . Do us all a favor , please post of the Washington board when you plan trips , okay ? lol . I am really glad that you are doing so well .

NWScottie ..
on 9/11/08 11:19 am, edited 9/11/08 12:25 pm - WA
On September 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM Pacific Time, Stacey . wrote:

I know all you said is true, almost brutally in some cases and very funny in others.  My husband pretty much said the same thing.  It was just wow.. I was and am again, so looking forward to surgery, when all of the sudden POP by balloon was broken. 

I did put some stuff into my bag and got some stuff together to take with me and I put together two trash bags of clothes to donate as well.  Stuff I will NEVER have to wear again. 

Thank you for all the support and I won't stray from the WA board until I get home.

Stacey   

PinkFlamingoes
on 9/11/08 11:28 am - Buckley, WA
Good plan , Stacey . You wouldn't be normal if you weren't a little concerned . Just to make sure you do okay , put a poster of Eric at the main desk & request that he not be allowed in while you're there . lol . What a funny guy . Kathy

Most Active