I Just Realized.........

NWScottie ..
on 9/5/08 1:44 pm, edited 9/5/08 2:36 pm - WA
...That I never introduced myself... I just jumped in.

Boy, what to tell you....   I'm Stacey and I'm in Bellevue.  I'm going to have surgery on the 16th and I'm having the RNY.  I'm a wife, a full time mom and I'm  homeschooling. 

I was first approached by my doctor back in 2005 but thought I could still loose the weight on my own .  But then in 2006 I had a very bad accident and boy...what a wake up call that was.  So the short story is it took me until 2008 to recover and in those two years I just really saw that I could not do it alone.  So here I am today.  Believe it or not I started getting all my ducks in a row this last June and now here we are September and I'm having surgery!  I'm so flippin' excited! 

I would love advise on what I should have on hand for when I get home from the hospital, and what you have found that worked for you to eat and when.  I have seen people talking about egg drop soup and broth of different soups.... that would keep the flavor going

Well that is it for now.  I look forward to chatting with all of you

Stacey   

lizzybear
on 9/5/08 2:00 pm, edited 9/5/08 2:03 pm - Olympia, WA
Hi Stacey!  Hey, feel free to jump on in anytime you want to!!!  We love jumpers.  Well, you know what I mean.

Heck, it's only been 10 months and I can't even remember what I did at the beginning.  I know I ended up not needing anything I brought from home, except my sweatpants, chapstick and a comb.  I had brought magazines and a puzzle book, but I was always either sleeping or walking (mostly sleeping), so never used them at all, they had everything I needed.  They even had the little cap in the morning that they can wash your hair inside the cap!  My sister was staying the night with me, so I bought her a little "thank you for being with me" gift bag that had a couple suduko puzzle books, a pen, a pair of comfy slipper socks and a eye shade to wear at night because of the light.  But they had me in a private room that had two doors and the inner door had a little curtain on the window so it blocked all the light (and noise) from the hallway so it was COOL!  That was it.

When I got home I already had small 2 & 4-oz plastic bowls, baby forks & spoons, brand new measuring cups & spoons, and a blender I'd picked up at WalMart.  I had ordered some protein drink samples from Vitalady.com, had some SF Crystal Light drink mixes on hand and some nonfat dry milk.  My nut had me mix the dry milk 1/2 and 1/2 with fat-free milk (to make enriched milk) so that anything I put milk in had extra boosted protein.  I had some fat-free, low-sodium broths and cream soups on hand.  I pureed the cream soups just in case they had any lumps in them.  I had sf jello stocked up and made some the night before surgery so I'd have it without having to actually make it for a few days.  I had all my vitamins purchased before-hand so no excuse to miss a day or two.  I used one of those triangle shaped pillows to sleep on (got it from my mother-in-law) - I never could sleep on my back, but after surgery I didn't have a problem with it for some reason.  Plus the pillow helped when I wanted to sit up in bed and read.

That's about all I can think of right now.  I wish you the best!!!

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

cfidecaro
on 9/5/08 2:23 pm - Snohomish, WA
Hi Stacey~

Welcome...if you are up for it a bunch of us are going to meet at Sal****er State Park tomorrow..and eveyone is welcome..I know there will also be some kids there...

BTW Congrats on your surgery on the 16th..what hospital are you going to be at..who is your doctor?

Collette

NWScottie ..
on 9/5/08 2:34 pm - WA
I will be at overlake hospital and my doctor is Dr. Lauter

Looks like I need to get some baby bowls and spoons, sf jello and broth.  I have all my vit and sups already and started taking them already per my nut advise. 

What time are you thinkning of meeting at the park?  and should I bring something?
Stacey   

figbart
on 9/7/08 5:53 am - Bellevue, WA

Hi Stacey
   I live in Bellevue and had my VSG with Dr Lauter at Overlake on July 30th. I was self-pay..................I am so pleased with my surgery, was not thrilled with the nursing care I got on the 2nd day, but am feeling great, better than I have been in years.

Welcome...............I am hoping to attend a support group soon, just hasn't fit into my schedule as yet..................

Linda

SW238/ GW120
5'2'' BMI42?  I AM ON MY WAY !!

Karen F.
on 9/5/08 4:48 pm - Renton, WA
It's at 12:30--bring a protein if you want it cooked on the grill.
Helen_Anne
on 9/6/08 12:46 am - Bremerton, WA

Stacy...

Welcome to the Washington board.... there is lots of support here. 

I would add SF pudding and greek yogurt to the list  of things to have after surgery.  if you add some sweetner and/or SF syrups (my favorites are vanilla and brown sugar cinnamin) to the greek yogurt (it has higher protein than regular yogurt) it tastes pretty good.

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

jodi_b
on 9/6/08 3:35 am - Bellevue, WA
Hi Stacey -

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  You are in great hands with Dr Lauter, he is a wonderful and highly skilled surgeon (I speak from experience )

Try not to stock up before surgery as your tastes may change.  Some of the foods that worked for me in first week or so post op were:

New Whey Protein Bullets
Canned Chicken Noodle Soup w/ the solids strained out 
Sugar Free Jello prepared with a protein bullet for extra protein
Sugar Free Jello pudding prepared with Vanilla Lean Body Ready to Drink protein instead of milk)

The Vitamin Shoppe is a great resource to try out different ready to drink proteins.

The first week was hard for me, just be sure to get in as much water as you can!  Things get better once you transition to the soft food stage.

Hope to see you next Saturday at Support Group!

Jodi
Jodi
410/236/175

Hislady
on 9/6/08 5:26 am - Vancouver, WA
Well can't help with the advice since I'm a bandster but sure can welcome you and say HI! This is a great website with some truely wonderful people. Hope you jump in and post often.
Most Active