New here

bear25
on 9/1/08 3:47 pm - chilliwack, Canada
Hi i have been reading all your posts and i thought that i should introduce myself. I'm Elisa and i'm from Canada and i have my first appointment with Dr. Lily Chang on Sept 25. I also have my physc appointment and the nut appointment all on the same day. I'm thinking it's gonna be a long day lol. I have been approved my BC Medical so all my money is in place thankfully. I've been trying for 2 years for this surgery and am so happy that i finally get my chance. The wait here to see a surgeon is 3 to 5 years so i'm so excited and lucky to see one in Seattle. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me the pre-op tests, i've had several here but i haven't had my upper GI yet and of course the last set of blood tests. I was also wondering how long past approval do you wait for surgery i mean anything under 3 years and i would be well i would be trying to jump for joy. Well i think that's enough about me hope to chat some more later. Nice to meet you.
jillianD
on 9/2/08 12:21 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I'm not sure how the ins stuff will work for you, I went through a military facility.  I just wanted to welcome you and wish you the best of luck!  I have seen a lot of people with your same surgeon so she must be good!
I do think it won't be long now till your on the loosers bench though!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Helen_Anne
on 9/2/08 12:57 am - Bremerton, WA

Elisa...

I had my surgery at Virginia Mason... I had to have an EKG, Lab tests and be seen in the pre-op clinic.... but no upper GI. But I didn't have GERD or any indication that I would any problems with my GI system.

If you have any questons about Virginia Mason Hospital... or Virginia Mason... let me know....

Helen

Consult W/Surgery W/Revision W/Goal W
332.5/302.6/231/200

Annie B.
on 9/2/08 1:16 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Welcome!!!

I don't know about your surgeon and such, but I know Kelly is around here somewhere, and she's newly out of surgery with Dr. Lily Chang...so maybe she'll chime in here soon. 

I just wanted to say welcome!  And I know it won't be a three year wait LOL.  My guess would be in the MONTHS (probably less than 6).  Keep us updated!!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Hislady
on 9/2/08 5:31 am - Vancouver, WA
No answers here either but always good to have newcomers, welcome!
Karen F.
on 9/2/08 1:09 pm - Renton, WA
I don't know what Dr. Chang requires, but Dr. Srikanth required a mind-boggling number of tests: 
Upper GI,
EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy--a test where they go through the mouth with a tube and look at the esophagus, stomach, and first part of the small intestine)
Blood tests of blood count and every electrolyte, mineral, or chemical known to man or beast
DEXA Scan (bone scan for osteoporosis)
Psych eval, or the equivalent thereof
Ultrasound of the abdomen
Chest XRay
Pulmonary Function Tests
Cardiology evaluation, including ECG

...and I've probably left out some more.  I was busy for a month getting all this done.

Good luck and I'm happy you'll be able to have this done.  It will be the best thing you'e ever done for yourself.
PinkFlamingoes
on 9/2/08 2:51 pm - Buckley, WA
Welcome ! Dr. Chang's office hasn't told you what tests you'll need ? Dr. Oh requires EDG , EKG , Breathing test (the worst test for me, lol) labs , nutrition classes , psych test & an exam by an internist , who went over all of the tests . I don't why the breathing test bothered me . I don't smoke , but I was afraid I wouldn't pass it . I did fine though .

Shelley S.
on 9/2/08 2:58 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
I'm sorry I have no information for you, but wanted to welcome you and say good luck to you through your journey to a happier, healther you

bear25
on 9/2/08 4:26 pm - chilliwack, Canada
Hi i just wanted to say thank-you for all your hi's and info. It's great to meet people that are going through the same things you are it makes all my decisions somehow easier. I'll keep reading all of the posts and learn as much as i can.
Shelly W.
on 9/3/08 6:00 am - Sumner, WA
Hi, Someone already posted what my docs pre-reqs were like.  I just wanted to jump in and add my WELCOME!!
--Shelly

Most Active