Hello! I'm NEW here, and working on 5%

(deactivated member)
on 8/23/08 10:58 am - WA

Greetings!

I'm brand-new to this site; I found out about it from a person on Spark People.   I'm in Olympia, WA.

I've been obese all of my adult life, and my first diet was before I even hit puberty...thing is, I wasn't overweight!   My mother had issues with trying to prove herself as worthy as her sister, who had an extremely thin daughter.   Then when I was a little older (early teens) she just stopped buying or cooking food.   Needless to say, I have issues.   

Thankfully, neither of my kids seem to have food issues yet...other than my 13 year old daughter who loves sweets and my 15 year old son who loves everything!  

I've now been "pre-qualified" through Uniform Medical - I saw a number of people here who have Riaz as their case manager.  Someone said Riaz is a guy - REALLY?   I thought Riaz is a woman!    I've only talked to him/her twice though, so who knows.

I'm working on the 5% now...I don't think that will take me long, I am an EXPERT at losing weight.   I'm an expert at gaining it back too....believe it or not, 4 months ago I was 35 lbs lighter than I am today. 

Hopefully, the approval will happen real fast after that.   I'll be going to Oregon Weight Loss Surgery (http://www.oregonweightlosssurgery.com/home.php) and having the surgery at Good Samaritan.   Has anyone here had experience with them?

My sister had LapBand surgery a couple of years ago with Dr. Fox (?) in Tacoma, I think.   She did really well and lost a lot of weight, but now she has gained everything back.  She blames it on surgeon error (it wasn't Dr. Fox) when she had a fill...but who knows?   I don't think she was prepared for the work she would have to put into the whole deal...she figured that the Band would be her miracle cure.   After she'd lost like 50 lbs we were at a reunion, and she pulled just the skin off of I don't know how many pieces of KFC and ate it!   She said the meat made her sick. 

HUH?

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all.   I know that this site is going to be invaluable to me on my journey!

~Teresa

VickiStevens
on 8/23/08 12:01 pm - Tacoma, WA
Welcome Teresa!  I am glad that you are on your way to a thinner and healthier you!

I am interested to know more about your sister.  It sounds like she is struggling with her band.  My guess is that her surgeon was probably Srikanth but that Fox (either Earl or Ross) was doing the fills.  That is the way it was working when I had my surgery in January 03. 

Srikanth is out on his own now.  If I am right and your sister's surgery was done by Srikanth, she can visit him at his new office and start over again.  That is one of the fortunate things with the band, you can always start over.  

If you sister is wanting to work with the band, please tell her to feel free to contact me on this site if she needs help finding Srikanth.

Take care and good luck with your own upcoming surgery!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/08 10:16 am - WA

Vicki, I just  talked to my sister.  

You're right, Srikanth did my sister's  surgery and the younger Fox screwed her band up when he was trying to fill it.  Apparently he couldn't find the port and was poking all over, then she suddenly felt a "ping" and her band hasn't held water since.  She spent over $6000 trying to get it to hold a fill after he did that.  All out of pocket.

She's preparing herself to go to Srikanth to have it fixed.

I told her about this site and STRONGLY encouraged her to get here...she's not going to be able to succeed without a support group.

VickiStevens
on 8/24/08 11:27 am - Tacoma, WA
I'm so glad you sister is going to see Srikanth.  He is excellent.  If anyone can "salvage" her band, it will be him. 

And you are so right about the support.  I hope to "meet" your sister soon!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/23/08 12:20 pm
Hi Theresa,
This is Deanne (Darla's sister). I was surprised to see a familiar face! I had WLS on 1/30/08, and have lost over 90 lbs. I'm gonna pm you my number, please call me.
Deanne
Shelley S.
on 8/23/08 12:25 pm - Ft Lewis, WA
Hi there! I have no info for you as I had my surgery at Madigan on Ft Lewis, but wanted to welcome you to the board and wish you well along your journey

bombshellintraining
on 8/23/08 1:58 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Hi Teresa - welcome to OH! This is a great place for support... lots of wonderful people.

Shari M.

Hislady
on 8/23/08 2:28 pm - Vancouver, WA
Welcome aboard, I had to laugh at your reference to being great at losing weight. It so sums up what most of us have been thru all our lives. I've probably lost and gained at least a couple of people in my day and for the first time ever I've lost and kept it off. Still have a ways to go but at least it's staying off this time. Wish you the best and that you'll soon be on the loser's bench!
jcheryld
on 8/23/08 3:07 pm
Welcome Teresa!

There are many of us Uniform PPO folks who have Riaz as our case manager and can help guide you through this process if you have questions. I'm sure he is a man LOL. Keep us updated on your progress! Lots of supportive folks here.

-Juanita
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/08 3:14 pm - WA
WOW!   Thank you to EVERYONE for the welcome!   And Deanne, it was FABULOUS talking to you - it will be fun to get together for lunch (and a walk?)!

OK, Cheryl, how do you KNOW Riaz is a man?   WHY did I think he was a woman?   

And how does one create a signature for our posts?  With the weight tracker and all that cool stuff.

Thanks again to everyone for the welcome...I think I'm going to really like it here!

~Tereas
Most Active