Did you take anything special to the hospital?

heyheyhey
on 8/14/08 11:32 am - WA
I have 10 days to get ready!  My surgery is on the 26th so I am wondering if there is anything special I should pack or anything you would avoid bringing?  Thanks!
heyheyhey
on 8/14/08 11:58 am - WA
Also, anyone know how long until you can drive post op?  Thanks again!
Shelly W.
on 8/14/08 1:42 pm, edited 8/14/08 1:42 pm - Sumner, WA
I think it was a minimum of 24 hours after surgery/narcotic pain meds.

As far as what to take to the hospital.  Loose clothing that won't put pressure on your incisions, chapstick, toiletries, a book or something to read.  It might not be a bad idea to take a deck of cards since sometimes there is a wait before you get into the OR.  If you have much of a ride home, I recommend a pillow to hold over your abdomen.  I really didn't need any more than that.

Good luck to you!!  Praying for a quick recovery for you.
--Shelly

hangokid11
on 8/17/08 2:42 am - MT
if you are not on pain meds for a day or two and your stomach is strong enough   ( i drove on the 9th day after surgery)  then you should be ok...  i would assume if everything goes great  7th or 8th day.   (i would have driven earlier if i wasn't hospitlized for 8 days!
Lisa B.
on 8/14/08 2:10 pm - Bremerton, WA
I had my surgery with Dr. Rush on June 24th. I packed a whole bag of stuff that I didn't need. I did use my chap stick, MP3 player, game boy and books, head phones are a good idea, you can plug them into the little TV next to your bed. I packed a nightgown and a couple pair of underware and socks, but never changed out of the hospital gown. They didn't take my cathater out until the night before I went home, and he made me wait until midnight to do that.  I wore baggy sweats there and put them back on to come home. I packed my husband a backpack full of magazines and snack for his wait. Of course he went down to the cafateria and had a big breakfast as soon as they took me in. Hope that helps.

lisa
jcheryld
on 8/17/08 2:16 am
So no electronics? A couple friends who have recently been hospitalized have used their cell phones for calls/texts.
hangokid11
on 8/17/08 2:40 am - MT
sure   make sure your family carries the electronics  to the room.    i had my cd player and tape player and it was a piece of cake  passing the time...
Annie B.
on 8/17/08 11:29 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I brought my cell phone and charger - and though I didn't want to talk on the phone much, I knew my mom and grandma would feel better hearing my voice.  A friend was taking care of my boys and I wanted to make sure to talk to them that day as well.  And then, when my dh got a really bad migraine and had to leave the hospital, I had my cell phone with all my numbers - so I could call around when I couldn't get a hold of him (and was very worried about him).

The other thing I was really glad to have was my OWN pillows!!  If you have a small fan, you may want to bring it as well - I was SO HOT after surgery (and I'm not a hot-blooded person), the nurses finally found one for me on another floor - but it was a lot of trouble for them.  It would have been better had I had my own.  And I wouldn't have had to wait so long to get cooled down.

Also - the chapstick is totally an essential!!  DO NOT go there without it!!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

heyheyhey
on 8/18/08 3:22 pm - WA
Thank you everyone, so much to do, so little time.  I am getting my list together, I have a few things to add to it now and a few things I am guessing I won't need.  I hope they do not look at my crazy walking in with a suitcase!  Less then a week away, how scary and exciting all at the same time!
Most Active