Newby with a date........

EricW
on 8/10/08 10:24 am - Kettle Falls, WA
Hello All:

I am a 45 year old male with a 49.5 BMI, Type II Diabetes getting worse, and top it all off with high blood pressure. I have been lurking here and on DS.com for a couple of years without making a comittment.

Those days are over. I am scheduled with Dr. Rabkin for the 20th of this month. I put an X on the calender and told myself everything would just have to adjust or I would put it off another 2 years. I have chosed the lap DS due to the diabetes and being a strong carnvore. I don't have a huge variety on my menu, but I do love all things meat. I'm hoping that this will lend itself to this procedure. My only concerns are my daily regiment. I have not done very well in the past with anything that was daily. I love to be an on the fly kind of person. I know I will have to change that up and be more discaplined.

I had the chance to meet some great peeps at the Seattle support group yesterday.  I had a blast and learned a lot.  I think this week is going to go really fast with all the last minute tests, flights, lodging, etc.  I will try to figure the site out so I can post all the info that all of you have, it has been a wealth of knowledge in my decision. 

Well I hope I have learned all that I will need, or at least learned where to learn it.  It probably sounds stupid, but I am actually looking forward to the rest and low key recovery.  I don't know anyone or anything in Frisco so i doubt i will be required to do anything but heal.  That sounds good. 

Any other suggestions or imput? Thanks in advance. Looking forward to being less. EW
Annie B.
on 8/10/08 11:05 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
Welcome!!  I've met some great people here...lots of great support and encouragement here...it's a great place to be!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Helen_Anne
on 8/10/08 12:01 pm - Bremerton, WA
Eric....

Welcome to the Washington site... there is lots of support here.  Congrats on your surgery date... You are haveing surgery just one day after me.

How long do you need stay in San Francisco after surgery?

Helen
EricW
on 8/10/08 7:47 pm - Kettle Falls, WA
On August 10, 2008 at 7:01 PM Pacific Time, Helen_Anne wrote:
Eric....

Welcome to the Washington site... there is lots of support here.  Congrats on your surgery date... You are haveing surgery just one day after me.

How long do you need stay in San Francisco after surgery?

Helen
Sounds like I could return on the 3rd of September if everything goes well.

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes.  Looking forward to the change.  Have a great week.  EW
Shelly W.
on 8/10/08 12:13 pm - Sumner, WA
Congratulations on your pending date.  It really is a great journey that you are about to embark on.  Enjoy.  Of course there will be a bit of recovery time, but before you know it you will feel great.  I felt better than I have in...I don't know how long...only a few weeks after my surgery.
--Shelly

Hislady
on 8/10/08 1:25 pm - Vancouver, WA
Enjoy your new life, wishing you all the best!
sunnyinseattle1
on 8/10/08 2:31 pm
Congrats on your upcoming date!!!!!

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

Shelley S.
on 8/11/08 12:04 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Welcome to the WA board, we are glad to have you here!! Congrats on your upcoming new birthday, I remember the days leading up to mine and how filled with excitement I was.  I too had Type 2 Diabetes and high blood pressure (was on 2 meds just for HBP) and even though I still have a ways to go to goal, I feel healthier than I have in a good 20 years.  Surgery gave me my life back and I know yours will too.  We look forward to hearing from you through your journey

nancy6
on 8/11/08 2:36 pm - Tacoma, WA
Congratulations on your surgery date, Eric!  And welcome to the Washington board - glad you decided to do more than just lurk.     You may find that you need to be a little more disciplined with planning meals, etc., but you'll adjust I'm sure!  Wishing you all the best with the surgery and hoping you have an easy, quick recovery.  Just follow the dr's orders and you'll do GREAT!  Be sure and keep us posted on how you're doing.  I find the friendship and support on this site to be very valuable - hope you'll find it to be the same for you.  Take care!

~Nancy~

PinkFlamingoes
on 8/11/08 2:40 pm - Buckley, WA
Welcome Eric . Congratulations on your upcoming DS . When I finally took the step to have surgery , I had quietly thought about it for a while . I finally decided that any problems I had were just going to get worse the longer I put it off . I didn't have diabetes , but was quickly heading that way . I had other problems , though . You are being proactive & will feel great before long .  I hear some people can ditch their insuline almost right away . Have a great trip & post often . Kathy

Most Active