RNY Question..

juicyprincess
on 8/6/08 1:27 am - Tacoma, WA

I have read contradicting info on the internet about RNY and dumping. I only know 3 people who have had RNY and 1 gets moderate dumping when she eats sweets and fats but says she can have 1 bite and be alright. My other 2 peeps wont even try them, so its a nonissue. I am wondering, because i have intolerance to artificial sweeteners, if most people can have (or get away with) 1 bite? I ask because i am being honest with myself and the thought OF NEVER AGAIN having just a bite of certain foods, its a little much to swallow (pardon the pun). And i had never heard that fats do it, till i read it yesterday. I know sugar and fats shouldnt be a part of your diet, but say you are at a wedding and want just a taste of the cake (like 1 bite) or what about meats (they are what i would call fatty)? My aunt visits and makes the best cheese, potato dish in the world and so i will NEVER have ANY again? Please, dont think i am weak or anything, i just want to be eyes wide open and fully aware when i do this...

Thanks a million!

mdbaskett
on 8/6/08 2:37 am - Seattle, WA
Dumping varies widely from person to person.  Some people don't get sick at all and can eat all the fats and sugars they want.  Some people can't have one bite or they feel wretched.  I think most people fall in between and can have small amounts of fats and sugars.  There is no way to know before surgery which category you will be in. 

When I decided to have RNY I basically spent some time mourning all those foods I loved and assumed I would never be able to eat them again.  This seems like a huge sacrifice but its no more than any other addict does - give up something you love in exchange for the rest of your life.  I may find out later that I can eat some of those foods again but I am in no hurry to find out one way or the other.  I prefer to believe that they are off limits for as long as possible.

High - 369 / Surgery (7/2/08) - 344 / Current - 180 / Goal - 170

Lisa B.
on 8/6/08 3:40 am - Bremerton, WA
It varies from person to person. I had my lap RNY 6 weeks ago and try to stay under 6 grams of sugar if sugar free is not available. I have had a couple bites of chocolate cake and a few potato chips and have had no problems.
jillianD
on 8/6/08 6:50 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I think the statisics are 50% chance that you will be a dumper.  Now how much fat or sugar it will take to make you dump varies.  For some it is anything more than 5 gm.  I think most will be able to have a bite or 2 and be ok but you might also be one of those people who can't have any (and for some its certian kinds).  It really is best to decide if you can be happy as one of the few who can't have it anymore.
Belive me though after you dump on something once you dont want it anymore!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/08 8:36 am, edited 8/6/08 8:51 am - Kennewick, WA
Okay, you use the word "NEVER" way too much!!!   

People are very different on how their bodies react to this surgery.  I'm 3 years out and enjoy everything there is other than ice cream and chow mein (it makes me dump every time).   Milk makes me sick alot too, but not all the time and I can tolerate it in my coffee ... weird!! 

The first 3-6 months I tried different foods, although I was very careful.  What you can't tolerate at 3 months, you might tolerate at 12 months ... you learn as you go.  I eat pizza, cake, hamburgers, fries, steak and I myself make a "to die for" cheesy potato dish and I even eat that.  However, I just can't eat too much of it and when I do, I  feel "sick" (not dumping, but no energy and an overall blah feeling) and if I don't chew my steak/chicken very well, it feels stuck and I have to throw up.

I know people who had this surgery and even after more than a year they get sick on bread where I have no problems with it (wish I had that problem though).

I even eat chocolate and some days I'm fine, others not .  I only dumped on certain foods for up to about 6 months, after that, it's more of a stuck, or queezy no energy feeling (I don't dump very often because I know what makes me dump so stay awary from that, but do occasionally get "sick" if I eat too much sugar or fat, or just too mcuh food in general). 

Obviously that said you need to be careful and try to stay away from the bad stuff that is going to make you dump/sick like sugars and fat until your at least 3 months out, but you can eat foods that you like if you can tolerate it and only in small amounts.  This is by trial and error I'm afraid ...

Okay that's a mouth full and hopefully will help you see that although this surgery is a life changing experience, it doesn't mean that you're life is over and you can't eat anything good ever again!  Good luck, and enjoy this journey ... it's so worth it~!

lady_tonya
on 8/6/08 10:03 am - Lake Stevens, WA
I also am thinking about this and appreciate your question and the responses. Did anyone feel resentful or deprived, depressed after their surgery about the things you could not eat? I know the weight loss is more important to my health than any food I might be addicted to. I am just wondering what others went through in this process.   Thanks, lady_tonya
Beetle
on 8/11/08 1:07 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
I'm only 3 weeks out, so I don't know how I'll feel in the long run.
However, I have thought about this many times before.

I've braced myself for the fact that no doubt I WILL be mourning from time to time.
I have decided my answer is to not think "never ever again", but to think of it as a break from eating such things, and looking forward to eventually getting them again, although in much smaller amounts.

Feels easier to cope with it that way, plus eventually some of those things won't seem as desirable anymore as they once did.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

PinkFlamingoes
on 8/6/08 1:49 pm - Buckley, WA
I don't dump on sugar . I try to be careful , but have made stupid choices a couple of times . I do get sick on too much fat , especially certain oils . I haven't been able to identify those oils , yet . For example I can eat a piece of beer batter halibut from one maker & be fine . Anything made by Gortons makes me sick to my stomach . The best thing is to never test it . Do as I say , not as I do . lol .

Most Active