I am home

hangokid11
on 8/5/08 12:16 pm - MT
Just got home 4 hours ago... got home 8 days after sugery than the usual 2-3 days...

Turns out that I was diagnosed with diabetes insipidus---nothing relating to "sugar" diabetes   it's relating to "water" and apparently my kidneys were wasting alot of water and no one knew about it because I had been drinking lots of water which had covered up the condition. (I mean I was drinking 3-4 gallons of water every 1-2 days)  

It had caused my sodium levels too high for me to come home as I would get dehydrated. So they had put me on a medication called hydrochlorothiazide to flush out the sodium. And I was on lots of IV fluids of potassium and was weaned off today. Tomorrow, I will have my blood drawn again and hopefully the sodium level stays down. 

Anyway, I'm trying to stay cool in this 89 degree weather in the apartment.
Beetle
on 8/5/08 12:44 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Holy moly, I have never heard of that!
I am very glad to hear you're finally home, and I hope you're feeling reasonably well.
Keep us updated.

Sending good wishes your way!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

nancy6
on 8/5/08 1:25 pm - Tacoma, WA
Glad to hear you are home and doing OK.  Whoa - you were sure in the hospital longer than expected!  It sounds like it was a good thing they diagnosed your diabetes insipidus - better to know about the problem and get it treated!!  Hope you're recovering from the surgery well...  Keep on sipping tha****er and walking when you can.  And try to stay cool!!  Take care...

~Nancy~

jillianD
on 8/6/08 12:37 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
I was wondering where you were!!  Glad to hear you are home and on the mend.  Hope your sodium level is where its supposed to be.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Helen_Anne
on 8/6/08 12:57 am - Bremerton, WA

Kelly....

I am sorry you had to stay in the hospital so Long.... but I am so grateful they figured out what was going on...

I hope you can stay cool today...  I found that a damp washcloth around the back of my neck really makes a difference.

Helen

hangokid11
on 8/6/08 4:47 am - MT
Thanks for the tip... yeah  glad they figured it out... i'll find out the sodium level for this morning's blood draw in an hour or so...hope it stays down....    it was 155 last thurs (way too high) been bringing it down 151, 149, 146, 143, 140, then yesterday was 141.... hope it doesn't climb any further than 143 otherwise  i may have to go back to the hospital  
Most Active