Dr. Ki Oh

juicyprincess
on 8/7/08 1:16 am - Tacoma, WA
The Heap procedure is a surgery Dr. Adrian Heap developed. It is sort of a marriage of lots of surgeries but he also uses differnt parts. http://www.aaawashingtonweightloss.com/Home_Page.html
He has lots of stuff on Obesity Help page, and even a support one just for his pts. The obvious benefits are, no dumping BUT the great one is also WAY less malnutrition (the vitamins) becuase of the part he uses. It is a good price, however it too is an open procedure. He just published a paper for the medical obesity journals, my dietician knows the author (David *******s at UW) and read it, she is the one *****ally thinks it is the most sound thing she has ever come across and wishes i would just pay for that..Alas 3 kids and a mortgage prevent me from just jumping on it. RNY is my second choice and i am still feeling it out. Once i meet all my insurance qualifications, if my Aunt (who originally offered to pay) hasnt agreed to it (again), then i will just RNY.
Check it out, its pretty cool =)
PinkFlamingoes
on 8/7/08 10:35 am - Buckley, WA
I've already had an RNY , but it sounds really interesting . Before I had my surgery I did protein shakes , to build up my levels . Even Dr. Oh was shocked at how fast I healed . So , if you do end up having that procedure , keep that in mind . I got a home equity loan . I'll be paying forever , but it's worth it . Now , I have to stay away from the crap that'll make me regain . That is the terrifying thought at my stage .

juicyprincess
on 8/8/08 2:05 am - Tacoma, WA
Pink Flamingo, Thanks for the info about building up your levels prior, I will keep that in mind. You did protein shakes, are they packed with the stuff you end up not having enough us (like vitamins and iron)? I am glad that i found Dr. Oh, it makes the RNY feel less sccary if this is the route i go. The Heap surgery i like BUT I can also see that it could lead to regain, though his statistics arent that high for it, i see how you could (because u can still eat everything, except soda) and i dont like that its open, i would prefer lap (healing time and scaring AND PAIN). I am glad i decided to post on the RNY board becuase its making me more confortable with this idea. This is the one my husband says i should choose anyway because i am addicted to chocolate and sugar (which are bad and he would like to see me stop having all together). Its funny because i dont know about anyone else, but there was comment posted about being just like a drug addict who has to give their drug up for the rest of their lives, they have to say goodbye to it inorder to live a healthy life, and that is definately how this feels!!
PinkFlamingoes
on 8/8/08 2:01 pm - Buckley, WA
I also took lots of supplements . I have always taken vitamins , so that was no biggee . If you have the RNY by Dr. Oh , he will want you to get your protein from shakes , because we malabsorb & can't predict the actual protein levels we are absorbing . I should warn you that not everyone dumps . I don't from sugar . I do get sick from too much fats . The best thing is to assume you do dump & not do sugar after surgery . Please keep us posted on what you decide . Kathy

VickiStevens
on 8/8/08 6:43 am - Tacoma, WA
I'm not sure what info you have that leads you to believe Srikanth's skills are surpassed by Dr. Oh.  I have not seen any evidence to support that statement.  Although we all have our own opinions.   

Srikanth actually is the first surgeon who was able to post 72% excess weight loss (average of course) for his patients.  I do not know if any other surgeon has been able to equal this yet.

Srikanth is a very skilled surgeon who does indeed have a wonderful bedside manner.  He is a pleasure to be around and I am personally thrilled to have him as my surgeon.

By the way, Srikanth did my surgery but Oh assisted so I have had both of them work on me. :)
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Most Active