Dr. Ki Oh

kathyrene
on 8/1/08 11:30 am
I had a very unpleasant experience with Dr. Ki Oh.  On visiting his office he was more than 45 minutes late to my appointment.  I do realize medical providers may run into emergencies that cause them to be late for scheduled appointments. 

When in the procedure room later for a colonoscopy Dr. Oh and I had an extreme difference of opinion regarding information I had received in that rushed office visit.  He got very upset, turned, threw something at the desk approximately three feet away.  He proceeded to belittle me and suggest if I hadn't understood what he said in that visit I should have asked for more information.  His behavior was enough for nursing nursing staff to suggest I speak to a patient advocate.  Needless to say, I did not have any procedure.  The feeling I got from more than one nurse was that Dr. Oh has exhibited this behavior with other patients and generally gets away with it. 

Dr. Oh's behavior upon having his authority questioned was reprehensible.  I would not recommend him to any of my friends.
Beetle
on 8/1/08 12:25 pm - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Yikes ! I'm glad you stood your ground!

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

jcheryld
on 8/1/08 1:19 pm
I'm sorry to hear about this. Thanks for letting us all know. Here's some information from the Dept of Health:

Information on Washington’s health care providers is now available online at our new Provider Credential Search Web site (https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/hpqa1/Application/Credential_Search/profile.asp). The site includes information about a health care provider’s license status, the expiration and renewal date of their credential, disciplinary actions and copies of legal documents issued after July 1998. This information is also available by calling HPQA,  360-236-4700.Consumers who think a health care provider acted unprofessionally are also encouraged to call and report their complaint.
M K.
on 8/2/08 12:51 am
Hi Karin,
Sorry.. abput your experience.. I have Dr Oh, and I have had a great experience with him.  I have had no complications so far and I am 5 weeks out.  I have heard he is not the best at bed side manner, but I just wanted a good surgeon.

Again... so sorry that you went through that experience.
Alien_Anthropologist
on 8/2/08 1:57 am
GULP!!!!

Ok, My daughter is scheduled with Dr Oh on the 26th this month

I noticed at the consult he wasnt a really warm and fuzzy kind of guy, but I assumed that was just his personality and it is his SURGICAL skills that have the most bearing with us.

I will look around further though for more input on him...thanks for the heads up!

Ultimatley it is my daughters decision though
Mola
on 8/2/08 4:35 am - WA
I am sorry that your experience with Dr. Oh was so unpleasant. He is my surgeon and while I had some issues with him in the beginning - mostly convincing him that I wanted a DS - overall my experience has been excellent. I am almost 3 months out and have not had any complications. He isn't a warm, fuzzy kind of doctor that will hold your hand through this, but he is an excellent, caring surgeon and that was of the utmost importance for me. All of my aftercare visits have been with his associate, Dr. Harai, who is much more personable.

I hope you get some satisfaction for your problems with the patient advocate. Patients should never be treated in a disrespectful manner.

Good luck.

Wag more, bark less.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/2/08 5:56 am
I'm disappointed to hear he has a snarky attitude, since I think he's the only DS surgeon in WA, and I feel strongly that WLS patients should have choices availble to them. I think I'd be hesitant to let someone prone to tantrums cut me open. I'm sorry you had a negative experience, hopefully this may help others avoid him, or force him to work on his bedside manner.
Shelly W.
on 8/2/08 8:13 am - Sumner, WA
Dr. Srikanth does do the DS.  Or at least he did.
--Shelly

PinkFlamingoes
on 8/3/08 3:58 am, edited 8/3/08 3:07 pm - Buckley, WA
According to his OH profile , Dr. Srikanth still does the DS . He has an excellent reputation as a surgeon & for his bedside manner , too . At the time of my surgery , I was told that there were no surgeons doing DS , in this area . This newer information is encouraging for people who want or need something other than a RNY or Lap Band .

VickiStevens
on 8/8/08 6:34 am - Tacoma, WA
Actually, Dr. Oh is not the only DS surgeon in Washington.  Dr. Srikanth, who also operates out of St. Francis in Federal Way, does the DS.  In fact, it was the first weight loss surgery that Srikanth performed.  He now does more band and bypasses since that is what most folks want and what most insurance companies will pay for, but he is very experienced in the DS.

And he has a WONDERFUL bedside manner!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Most Active