Tri Care

Tricia W.
on 7/29/08 12:16 pm - Yakima, WA
Can anyone give me information about Tri Care through the military and WLS?  I would really appreciate it. 
Annie B.
on 7/29/08 12:52 pm - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
What do you want to know?  There are quite a few of us on here that have military coverage...you can get some good info here...

I had my surgery at Madigan at Ft. Lewis.  It was a pretty easy process...got a referall from primary care dr., and then saw the surgeon.  Then I took some classes, got a psych eval, saw the surgeon again to schedule the surgery.  And now here I am five months later.  I am not sure how it works if you are not close to a miltary facility - as I see you're from Ellensburg...

Hope this helps a little - and welcome!!

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

jillianD
on 7/30/08 12:26 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hmm I know Tricare is one of the easier ins companies to get wls surgery through.  I belive you need to have a BMI of 40 or a BMI or 35 with comorbids.  Don't quote me though.  The best way for you to find out for sure is through your surgeons office.  Were you planning to go with a civilian or were you going to travel to a military facility?
The frequent Tricare posters here all went through a military faciltiy for their surgery. 
(A 4-6 month process) If you want more info on the civilian side I would try the main board.  Your likely to get more responses.
Good luck with you questions!!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Bettiedidnt
on 7/31/08 11:53 am - Oak Harbor, WA
VSG on 09/24/08 with
Hey there!  I have tricare and was starting the process for WLS  by getting a referral to a surgeon from my PCP. Well, I got the referral and called the civilian surgeon they approved me for to schedual an appointment.  The receptionist was SO rude about it, told me there was no way tricare would even consider me for a RNY without a BMI of 40,  (mines 36.9 with comorbids).  When I informed her of my comorbidities, she told me it wouldnt matter.  I think she was full of baloney but the experience was so annoying I asked my PCP if I could just go to Madigan instead. He told me that actually made everything easier since we wouldnt have to even contact tricare for a referral!  Well, I went to Dr. Sebesta's info class and flat out asked if tricare had anything to do with his decisions on who's a candidate and he told me no, he doesnt even have to deal with them.  It was a relief for me to hear that since I didnt exactly "fit" tricare's criteria.   I've got my appointment with him on 8/8 for consult/preop/scheduling and it was totally worth going there instead of trying to fight with tricare and the civilian docs.  (Even though its one HECK of a drive for me! )  Just my story, dont know if it helps you!  -e-
OUTLAWPINTO
on 8/22/08 2:29 am - Leavenworth, WA
 Hi Tricia,

I too am retired Military and have Tri Care. I found Tri Care to be very helpful with information on WLS. They only cover the Lap Band and RNY. But have very easy terms for the surgery. BMI of 40  or 35 with comorb. I have a BMI of 43.9 and barely met the 100lbs. Which I understand they stick too so must be 100lbs over idea weight.

I saw Dr Chebli in Seattle. His office is well versed in Tri Care and told me they are  very easy to work with for WLS.

I did not have to have a referral for seeing the surgeon . Just need auth for the surgery.
I live in Leavenworth and could not find a surgeon over here that takes Tri Care. I am well on my way to having the surgery.

Tricia W.
on 8/27/08 6:57 am - Yakima, WA
Thank you for the information.  Good luck on your future surgery.  Take Care!
Most Active