New member w/ questions

divamydear
on 7/25/08 6:01 am - WA

Hi I am a almost 39 year old female from the outskirts of Spokane. I am having Rny through Dr Pennings of Post falls Idaho. Has anyone here gone to him? He seems to be a well informed Dr who took the time to answer my questions. At first I was having the lap band but after talking to him and my mom I am doing the RNY. My weight at the seminar was 342. At the time of my consult I was at 329.

I knew I have a fatty liver so right after the seminar I started to lose weight thinking “If I get a jump on this I can get my surgery done faster” No such luck! I had my first consultation and was told second week of September. I also needed to lose 30 more lbs. So he now has me on Optifast until surgery. As of today I am at 317. Did any one else have to do Optifast as long as me? I am just very impatient. Wanted to get this done before the kids go back to school. They go back the last week of August. I just wanted to check in and say hi. Thanks Divamydear

Helen_Anne
on 7/25/08 6:57 am - Bremerton, WA

Welcome to the Washington Board.

I don't know anything about your surgeon... but have you looked him up here... or posted something on the Idaho board?

Re: Pre op diet... my surgeon is only requiring a 2 week mostly liquid diet.  Is your BMI over 50... that may be the reason for the long pre-op diet.

Helen

jillianD
on 7/25/08 11:34 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
From what I have seen its pretty common for a surgeon to request that you lose 10% of you body weight.  I have also seen people who had to do a liquid diet for over a month before surgery to get their liver size down.  Good luck to you and congrats for starting to take care of yourself sooner!!

Welcome to the board!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

giver44
on 7/26/08 2:11 am - Post Falls, ID
 Hi there!! I live in Post Falls and chose to go to Dr. Rawlins at Rockwood in Spokane.  I went to both of Dr. Penning's work shops.  For both the lapband and RNY.  For personal reasons I did not choose to go thru him.
  I know several people who have used his services, and all have been favorably rewarded.
  My understanding is tha Dr. Penning requires everyone to do the Optifast for a period of time. Usually about 6 weeks.. but depending I suppose on you weigh t to begin with.
  I suppose that the time restriction may be because like everyone other surgeon.. not just beariatric.. is scheduled out that far.  I know that Rockwood is saying Oct. or Nov.  if all the preresiquits are done.
  I was 280 at consult.. He wanted me to lose 20 lbs.  Because of the liver thing and to show that I was ready and willing to work on this program. The only  required pre diet was .. clear liquids the day before. I lost 15 of the pounds and was really worried that I wasnt going to make it.
  Even so I was moved through fairly fast.  First consult 2/14 2007.. and surgery June 26. Many have waited several months from start to finish. Good luck to you.. And please keep us informed of your progress.  Fell free to send me personal messages. 
 As has been suggested perhaps  go to the Idaho board.  I believe Dr. Penning has a site also.
      Alice
Most Active