Family wants to help--what to tell them?

hangokid11
on 7/22/08 4:59 am - MT

My parents and I were talking and they were wondering how they can help me...  they said, "how can we help you when you go through the surgery?"  I didn't quite have a clue other than "just be there for me"  for support.  Any ideas how to have them feel "involved"  in this exciting process?  What can I tell them for the future when we have "get-togethers" as to what I eat and don't eat?  It's so new to them, especially my grandmother and other relatives. I think it's great that I have support from my family, but they are kinda not sure how unless I tell them!  Any feedback or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

jillianD
on 7/22/08 3:22 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
There really isn't a whole lot that they can do.  The first part is pretty solitary.  Are they local to you?  Rides to do errands would be nice, just having some company is good too.  Help with housework is always great.  Having them encourage you in your exercise is great, espically if they want to go with you, good moitvation and good for them too!!
As far as future family get togthers  I wouldn't worry too much about that, in the future you will just eat whatever protein thats available and a bite or two of the rest.  The only thing I would say about that is if there is a protein that you can't tolerate (for me chicken) I bring my own (shrimp).
They will learn that you won't eat the sweets, you can always surprise them by bringing a WLS friendly desert.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

nancy6
on 7/23/08 1:16 pm - Tacoma, WA
I second Jill's response - she really hit the nail on the head!  If they are local, you may really appreciate a helping hand around the house for a couple weeks - doing laundry, vacuuming, just general picking up.  I know I had a lifting restriction of 5 pounds for 6 weeks so help with that kind of thing would be great.  I also agree that an exercise "buddy" would be fabulous!!  It's wonderful that you have that kind of support group!!

~Nancy~

hangokid11
on 7/24/08 11:45 pm - MT
Thanks for the input.... mom would be a great exercise buddy when i get into the groove.
Most Active