Trying to find my way

ariasinger
on 7/21/08 6:23 am - Sumner, WA
Hi all.  This is my first post as I'm new to this site and I'm not sure what I'm doing....

I had the LapBand surgery on May 6, 2008, and have gone from 300 to 246 with about 20 of that being preop weight loss.  My problem now is that I'm having a hard time sticking to just 2 oz for my "meals".  I don't necessarily feel hungry, at least not in my stomach, but my mind is telling to it wants to eat.  Any suggestions on how to overcome this?  Also what do other band patients out there eat and what is your eating/supplement/protein schedule?  Because I work 12 hour night shifts I'm finding it hard to stick to a specific schedule and sometimes I'm awake from about 8 am one morning until 8 am the following morning and am trying to stick to three meals in that time but am finding it difficult.

I have yet to attend any support group meetings, but plan to attend at VitaLady as soon as my work schedule permits - probably starting in August.

Any advice anyone has to give me will be greatly appreciated!

Cindy
Hislady
on 7/21/08 12:38 pm - Vancouver, WA
Welcome to the boards. You are doing outstanding since most bandsters don't lose alot until they get good restriction which tends to take 3-5 fills, so you are way ahead of the game. Many of us eat 1-1 1/2 cups of food per meal or split that amount into several smaller meals which ever works best for the individual. From what I've read your surgeon is particularly strict with his post surgery requirements. Many people feel you should get at least 1200 calories a day for safe and effective weight loss, it would be difficult to get that many calories with only 2 oz. per meal. Try coming over to the lapband board and I'm sure you'll get more info and much support. They are a great bunch over there.
VickiStevens
on 7/21/08 1:20 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the Washington board, and I hope you visit the lapband board also.

I am a patient of Srikanth - he and Oh have almost identical pre-op and post-op programs so I might be able to help you some.  Please feel free to PM me with specific questions and I will answer all that I can.

Take care and keep up the good work!
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
nancy6
on 7/21/08 2:09 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi, Cindy - Welcome to the Washington board!  Sounds to me like you are doing great - and I'm sure you'll get lots of info and support on the lap band board, too, but we're glad to have you checking in on the Washington board.  I had gastric bypass with Dr. Oh so am familiar with his protocol.  As Vicky said, he and Dr. Srikanth have very similar programs.  What I have found personally is that if I'm getting in all the water and protein shakes that I am supposed to, I don't get overly hungry.  But if I skimp on the water or shakes that's when the hunger hits.  So my suggestion would be to be sure and keep getting in the water and shakes.  Sounds like your schedule can be challenging, but hang in there.  You'll find what works for you.  Feel free to send me a message or post more here if you'd like.  Vitalady's support group is good and there is also one in Auburn - I think Merrilou (the leader) has posted a notice about the BBQ she'll be having in August in place of the support group.  Merrilou and her husband have www.enjoyhealth.com and she is also a good source of information.  I hope you'll find that the Washington board is great for support, encouragement and friendship - check us out often!  :)

~Nancy~

Most Active