Approved for Pre Surgical program

bheila
on 7/21/08 3:45 am - Kent, WA
I am soooo excited that I have gotten over the first hurdle of just qualifying for the pre surgical program. Now I have to lose 16.75 pounds and then I can go see the surgeon for all of the other tests. With all of my excitement of coarse comes a little disappointment. My insurance won't let me go to the surgeon I was planning on at St Francis. Instead they will allow me to go to U of W hospital or Virginia Mason. Still good news, but now I have to do my research on those surgeons to pick what I would think would be the best one for me.

Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with either hospital or surgeons there? Any feedback would be sooo appreciated.
Shelley S.
on 7/21/08 4:25 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Congrats on getting past that first hurdle, you're well on your way to a new healthier life!!!

Helen_Anne
on 7/21/08 4:45 am - Bremerton, WA
Congrats on getting approved for the pre surgical program.  I really like Dr Hunter... all pre-op is done in Federal Way... only the surgery is done in Seattle.

Helen
bheila
on 7/21/08 5:45 am - Kent, WA
Helen, so far Dr. Hunter is the best pick from what I have to chose from. Besides not having to travel to Seattle for every appointment would be fantastic.
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/08 4:25 am - kent, WA
I chose DR Ravi Moonka, he is in same practice as Dr Hunter. Had the two of you had a hard time getting a first appointment?
amm2008
on 7/22/08 11:59 am - Seattle, WA
Hi,

Sounds like we have the same insurance..are you working with Riaz as your case manager? 

I work at UWMC and they have a very good program...Dr Dellinger is prob one of the best around however currently they are scheduling RNY's in September.  Also, they will not let you attend the seminar until they receive the referral from the insur that you lost your16.75 lbs.  They told me that once you go to the seminar it's 6-9 months before you will have surgery (and once you get the referral it's 1-2 months before you can get into the next seminar).

I haven't heard much about VM.  I decided to go to OWLS in Portland.  The whole process took me 6 months from the pre-surgical program to my surgery date.

Good luck

Alicia
bheila
on 7/23/08 3:25 am - Kent, WA
Alicia, I have Aetna PEBB. My case manager is Sharon Isett. I have already been to a seminar somewhere else and watched 3 seminars online. I just can't wait to see another one . I went to another Dr's seminar because he was on my list of covered surgeons and then my insurance gives me some confusing explanation as to why I can't go to him. Oh well!!! I have already lost 7lbs in 4 days, is that bad? I have heard that you don't want to lose too fast, as some insurance companies have turned people down for that. I'm just so excited to start this whole process and get the surgery over with. I'm tired of not living my life to its full extent. Thanks for the info.
amm2008
on 7/23/08 6:59 am - Seattle, WA

I have Uniform PEBB so the requirements should be the same.  I ended up going to 3 seminars total since my original doc wasn't covered by the insur and the other 2 hospitals were but I decided to go to the 3rd hospital.

My case manager told me that I couldn't lose too much weight since they would use the initial starting weight for eligibility.  I ended up losing 10.9% of my weight before surgery.

Good luck

Alicia

NYBUSOP
on 7/23/08 9:29 pm - Everett, WA
I too have just been pre-approved and I have the same insurance & case manager as you do. Sharron, from Aetna PEBB. I haven't loss any weight yet in fact with exercise and diet I gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks. I am a diabetic & use insulin so losing weight is even harder for me. How do you like sharron? I have only talked to her once for my intial consultation and haven't heard anything else from her or Aetnea. I live in the everett area, I was planning on going to the UW for my surgery, if I can lose the weight required. I haven't been to any seminars yet though. How long ago were you pre-approved?
KARA_TOP
on 8/12/08 11:52 am - richland, WA
I have Uniform medical insurance too!  My Pre-surgical nurse is Riaz as well!!  How far into this are you?  I think I am at goal (I had to lose 18 pounds), I am going to the doctors office tomorrow and get my weight verified and faxed if I am at 325 or less.

~Kara

I am soooo excited to have found this group!
Most Active