New here and a little lost

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/20/08 5:50 pm
Hi, welcome! I'm glad Group Health is doing right by you. I left GH after having them for 20+years because I couldn't get a Duodenal Switch for my WLS and being jerked around, so if they treat you right I may have some renewed faith in them.
There is alot of variation in the skin problems, and you may get lucky. I think genetics and age are big factors, but you are a "lightweight" by WLS standards, and the fact that you didn't have weight issues until you were in your 30's are probably good things. When someone has 200+ pounds to lose, and has been obese their entire life, the skin may not snap back as much.
My surgery has already resolved several co-morbidities for me, so I only wish I'd had it done sooner. I hope you enjoy your WLS journey as much as I'm enjoying mine!
Deanne

moonfairy
on 7/20/08 8:26 pm, edited 7/20/08 8:26 pm - Spanaway, WA
Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome!! What a nice bunch .... Thanks for the great advice as well..

I hadn't planned to ask which proceedure is better..haha I know better  I have been on the internet researching for about 6 months, and off and on before that, and have people I know who have had it done.

Some of it scares the wee wee out of me..But I think, no I KNOW I would rather dump, or even die than continue living like this in so much pain all the time. Unable to do things I used to love doing..

I told a "friend" once (we were really close then) I thought she was nuts for having the surgery.. At that time she got turned down, then later lost insurance.. But anyhow, I thought she was just being lazy and trying to take the easy way out while taking a chance of dying..

Of course I had NO darn idea what I was saying, I knew nothing about it then. Then a year ago we started talking a bit more again (ps we quit being friends for another reason..lol) after she had the band done. She had lost 100 pounds and was looking great. She still has a lot more to lose though but she was diabetic, and it went into remission within a few weeks of getting the band:-)

She never did get approved, she ended up paying for it with some inheritance money. So she told me a little about her experience,and then I haven't heard from her again since..Thats normal with her though and it's ok..

But I have told family that I am doing it and some have said, just eat right, exercise, you can lose weight..DUH..I can lose it, BUT I cannot keep it off. And to be honest, I have not lost or gained in 3 years, and that was a loss and a gain back of 10 pounds..lol..I will never judge anyone again in their choices and what they choose to do with their own body..

I am scared, no doubt..But I am more scared about what will happen is I don't do it..I am sure you all can relate to that..

I do have a concern, I have bowel problems, especially since I had my gallbladder removed, and I am afraid it will get worse when I have the surgery.. omg when I had my GB out, I couldn't finish a meal without having to run to the toilet!!! It was like that for months, it still happens, but mostly if I eat fatty foods now..So I TRY not to eat crap, but I just don't know a better way to eat.

I have not yet seen the surgeon or gotten a date. I was told January, because I am on medicare, medicare patients have priority (she told me why but I really didnt get it)..

It would have been sooner, but they changed something within the clinics program or some off the wall stuff and so they are having to have people wait..HA I have a crappy memory!

What really bites, is I don't have any friends.. Seriously, not one! I have become reclussive and have had friends screw me over so I just don't make friends anymore.. I am VERY friendly, but it is hard for me to allow anyone in...

I have a bad marriage and that sure doesn't help.. He thinks if i lose weight I will leave him.. he is dumbe because in 24 years I have left him twice and kicke dhim out once, and guess what? I lost weight every time he was out of my daily life. Now that my son is 19 I don't have to worry about having that put over my head...long story..lol

But now I am to tired, broke and worn out to leave..So, one thing at a time..And getting this weight off if number 1!!

Oh by the way.. I can talk a mile a minute once I get started..So sorry about that..

Have an awesome week.. I will be around reading and maybe do more posting on the boards...
Karla

PS: I am probably going to have the bypass..It was my first choice, then I wasn't sure, thought maybe the band was better/safer..But I am leaning toward bypass..

figbart
on 7/20/08 11:28 pm - Bellevue, WA
Hi and Welcome
   I am having VSG on July 30th..............I went in for the band and after talking to the doctor and doing some research, he thought the Lap Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy was best for me............just do your research and you will know.
  Good luck
Linda
SW238/ GW120
5'2'' BMI42?  I AM ON MY WAY !!

Beetle
on 7/21/08 12:51 am - Brisbane (Norman Park), Australia
Hi Karla, and welcome from me, too.

I am going under the knife for a medial gastric bypass TOMORROW !!!!!!!

I know exactly what you're saying about your bowel fun. I had my gall bladder removed about 12 years ago, and haven't dared eat anything greasy unless I was VERY close to a restroom for a while after the meal.
Every time they warn me that certain medications could cause constipation, I think to myself: "Oh please, bring it on!". Hasn't happened yet.

I am crossing fingers that it can only be better afterwards, since it really couldn't be all that much worse, anyway, right? LOL
I'll keep you posted once I finally get to actually EAT something again (I am on day ten of nothing but clear liquids).

Do hang around reading these boards a lot, there is huge wealth of information and even more spirit of sharing.

Hi, I'm Karin  Start 310 / Surgery 283 / Current 168 / Goal 150
Would you like help with a photo or avatar? Contact me ...

sunnyinseattle1
on 7/21/08 7:11 am
Hi there almost neighbor!  LOL Im Sunny and I live in Federal Way. I am going for the GB, because I never - ever-ever again want acid reflux. I had it really bad before I had my gallbladder out this past January 4th. I had major potty issues too. Even before I had Gallbladder removed. My gallbladder wouldnt process any fat at all. Loads of fun there. 

I know what you mean, about friends. I have met a few nice people online, but no one seems to  stick around after a few months of knowing them.  I am a nice person and I usually have trouble letting people inat all, untill I met my hubby. I had trust issues. I have been looking for actual friends for awhile now.

I am also on medicare too.

Hope to  see you around more.....Sunny

SW   CW  GW                                
378   256 175-200
*Hope to become a Parent after loss, either by natural or adoption.*

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/22/08 6:56 am
I want to echo some of the posters comments about the support group. I have attended one of their meetings, and will be going back, despite it being a longish drive for me. I was the only DSer amongst the RNYs and banders, but everyone is very friendly and accepting, and the meeting was very upbeat. My surgery has slightly different dietary things than the others there, yet there was alot of common ground for everyone to discuss, and we taste tested different flavors of protein supplements (and I actually found several I can stand, which is a miracle!). It promise you'll find it's a positive experience, and hope to see you at one of Susan's meetings.

cfidecaro
on 7/20/08 11:48 pm - Snohomish, WA
OH MY GOSH KARLA...I AM SO SORRY
I just realized I called you Karen, please accept my apologies~
Collette
Shelley S.
on 7/21/08 12:08 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Hi there Karla and welcome!  I think everyone else has already said what I would have, and I also strongly agree about support groups.  In fact, I know of one meeting tonight that meets once a month and is run by our own Susan who posts here on the WA forum.  We have both RnY and banders both who attend.  Here is a little info about that group....

Thru Thick N Thin
This one meets at the Summit Library just off Canyon Road.  We are doing some taste testing tonight as well, that's always fun!

I wish you the best of luck on your new journey, it's one decision I haven't regretted in the 4 months since surgery.

nancy6
on 7/21/08 1:22 am - Tacoma, WA
Welcome, Karla!!  I agree with all the other posts here - only you can decide which surgery will work best for you!  Sounds like you have done some research and have pretty much decided what you'll do.  I understand totally about not having friends, being in a bad marriage, etc.- but as you said, one thing at a time!  And this surgery is something you can do for YOU!!  I suspect you will definitely feel better physically and emotionally getting the weight off.  I'm sorry that your husband isn't supportive of your decision for surgery, but you can find lots of support here on this site and in support groups.  We'd love to see you at the group tonight!  Vitalady's group meets the second Tuesday of each month and the following day (which is usually the 2nd Wednesday, but not always - depends on what day of the week the month started).  Anyway, as others have said, please post questions, concerns, etc. and you'll get lots of good support and friendship.  As far as the bowel issues, I can tell you that I had gastric bypass and for the first few weeks, I had loose stools, then constipation has become an issue.  I'm dealing with that by changing the type of iron meds I take, adding fiber, etc.  I wish you all the best on this journey - and it is definitely quite an experience!  :)

~Nancy~

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/21/08 6:27 am - WA
It sounds like you need to come to our Support group meeting on August 9th.! No realy a support group might help we are a small group but we have lots to talk about! We would love to meet you. Merrilou (253) 939-8865 call anytime
Most Active