New here and a little lost

moonfairy
on 7/20/08 6:11 am - Spanaway, WA
Hi, my name is Karla and I live near Graham WA. I was approved a few months ago for WLS with group health. I have medicare so I was approved within a week, I didn't even know my dr put in for it..LOL.I said I wanted to learn more about it..Oh well, works for me.

I have not yet decided on bypass or the band, and that is where I am lost I suppose.

My Surgeon is Steven Bock, I have not yet met him. I am starting the pre-tests. First I am ordered to have a mammogram (I am 46 never had one yet). Everything else is pretty easy stuff because being on medicare they do not require a lot of things insurance companies do.

So I am here to learn as much as I can and maybe make some friends along the way...I have 120 pounds to lose, that will put me at 150. But the thing I worry about is extra skin when I lose it. I have a fat neck and am terrified it will hang like a turkey.

I have been overweight for several years but I didn't start to gain until my mid 30's and was always really pretty thin before that.. But some medical issues and depression hit me hard..I have been stuck at 270 for about 7 years..

Anyhow, I am off to do some wash.. I look forward to getting to know you all..
Karla

jillianD
on 7/20/08 6:25 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Hi Karla nice to meet you!  I can't tell you which surgery you should get but I can tell you how to figure out what will work best for you.  Go to different support groups, hang out on the main, lap band, and rny boards.  Read, read, read.  Your surgeon is also a great person to help you decide.  They know your medical history.
What ever you do don't go on a board and place a post that goes "which surgey is better"  or "should I do this or that".  LOL  There are a few people who are quite militant about how their surgery is the best and they go right off the deep end.  Just trying to save you a little grief.

Welcome to the pool the water is fine!!

Oh and there is a suport group out there in Puyallup run by vitalady...  She is super knowledgeable.  She has both a Rny group and a lap band group.  www.vitalday.com

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

moonfairy
on 7/20/08 8:22 pm - Spanaway, WA
cfidecaro
on 7/20/08 6:46 am - Snohomish, WA

Hi Karen and Welcome~

You are going to love Steven Bock...he is my doctor and have been very pleased with him. He is a straight shooter and tells it like it is.  I decided on the bypass. For me, being so over weight for sooo long I wanted/needed to see results FAST...I will be celebrating my one year surgery anniversary on 8/1 and I am down 143 pounds...I still want to lose another 25 or 30 more...but as every one here learns...as time goes by, the weight lose slows...

I had a breast Cancer scare a couple of months ago and while at my last check up---he sent me straight for a biopsy...no messing around!I am scheduled for a breast reduction on 9/16...and while I have hanging skin...its nothing that a great fitting pair of jeans won't hold in. I have the wiggly arm wings and the thighs are horrable to look at....but I am also very critial of myself..

Anyway Welcome and congrats on getting this far in your journey

Collette

sweetkathleen
on 7/20/08 9:51 am - Seattle, WA
Welcome Karla-

You could to the right place for the support and hopefully you will be able to meet some nice friends.
You have to decide for yourself which surgery is the best one for you and your body. For me I am planning on having the lap band because I am not to cool with the idea of my plumbing cut and re-routed and plus of the idea of it being a forever thing.

I just wanted to take the time to say WELCOME!!

Kathleen
Shelly W.
on 7/20/08 10:32 am - Sumner, WA
Hi Karla, Welcome.  We are a pretty friendly group on this Washington board.  I just had lap band surgery last month and would be happy to answer questions, share what I went through, etc. if you have any specifics.  Also check out the surgery boards on here, you can really learn a lot from reading them too.

--Shelly

kittykatzmom
on 7/20/08 10:37 am - Mason co., WA
Welcome Karla, questions ask away, someone will have an answer, good luck as you start on the journey of a life time.

~Cindy~

Starting Over
on 7/20/08 11:25 am

Hi Karla!
Welcome to our little corner of the OH site. You definitely have alot of information ahead of you...so be prepared. Everyone here is usually really quick to answer questions, and we're all pretty honest about our surgeries and problems.

I started my journey with my mind set on the lap band, I didn't want to have my insides re-routed. Plus, the idea of FOREVER was scary. However, after talking to my surgeon and doing some research I decided that for ME, the bypass would be better. Ice cream was my weakness pre-op and I knew that I'd be sucking down ice cream after lap band surgery since there is no dumping. So I am 8+ months out from gastric bypass and down 130+ lbs. I do have dumping syndrome and I am thankful for it.
Good luck on whatever surgery you decide to do. There is no right and wrong one, just the right one for YOU.
Keep us posted!

Hislady
on 7/20/08 2:31 pm - Vancouver, WA
Welcome, you will find this a very friendly and supportive place. Hope you enjoy your journey.
VickiStevens
on 7/20/08 2:37 pm - Tacoma, WA
Welcome Karla. 

As has already been stated, the best way to find out about the different surgeries and make your decision is research, research, research!  I suggest going to informational seminars, support groups and reading on the boards. 

Good luck on making your decision.
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Most Active