Pouch Leak testing methods?

hangokid11
on 7/14/08 5:41 am - MT

I want to ask you guys how did the doctors do the pouch leak tests for the RNY...   from what I hear   some surgeons ask their patients to take a blue dye test and yet some doctors don't as they just put the pouch in a container full of water in the OR and check for air bubbles....    So,  from what I read,  many say they feel that it's a STANDARD requirement for the blue dye test....      So for those who already had surgery,  what did the surgeon do ?   And also any opinions will be appreciated! Thanks!

jillianD
on 7/14/08 6:50 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with

I had the tire test.  They inflated my pouch, dribbled water on it and checked for air leaks.  My dr also puts a drain tube in though as an extra back up.

Good luck!

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

sunshine247
on 7/15/08 2:57 am - WA

On the day after my surgery, my doctor sent me to have a gastro something where you drink this totally disgusting liquid and they watch it go into your whole system.  They then took x-rays of what they saw.  I'm not sure if I had the "tire" test or not - no one said so anyway.  Be aware, however, if you have what I did, the stuff tastes horrible - definitely not the first thing you want to have in a new stomach after surgery.  Yuck!

Lisa B.
on 7/16/08 3:31 am - Bremerton, WA
I also had the nasty syrupie stuff to drink while standing in an x-ray machine. Then I went over for a ct scan.  It took almost 4 hours for my test results to get posted. I asked my nurse to check on them and he came back with a pitcher of water, I was very excited about that!

lisa
PinkFlamingoes
on 7/16/08 10:21 am - Buckley, WA
I don't know if Dr.Oh checked while I was on the table , but I didn't have to have a leak test . My room mate did have to have one . When I asked him about it , he said she had to have it because she was a revision & more likely to leak . When he does the test , he uses barium .

Most Active