Sizes

cfidecaro
on 7/14/08 12:23 am - Snohomish, WA

Is it just me or does it seem that sizes are off a bit . I always imagned that a size 10 was......you know, like skinny...125 pounds...but here I am @ 170 and they fit...I feel like I am still to heavy to be this size.......I have not been a size 10 since I was 13 years old......they are a little snug, but nothing 5 pounds won't take care of...

Does anyone here struggle with this? I have lost almost 140 pounds and I still don't feel I look that great...I still struggle with body image~

Collette

jillianD
on 7/14/08 12:37 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with

Yep I am there too.  I know the sizes have changed a bit todays 10 is yesterdays 12, but I think quite a bit of it is in our heads.  I can't wait till everything gets caught up.  I know I have pants that are 16's and they look to small to me but I can wear them.  Ehh, maybe someone farther out will be along here to help.

Speaking of clothes don't forget the exchange Sat!!

Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

cfidecaro
on 7/14/08 12:43 am - Snohomish, WA

I am sooo glad to know that you are going through this too...I was beginning to think I might be getting a little crazy over the whole size thing...

Being a a plus size 20 something for so long...it is hard to image me in anything else...and the really scary thing...is that in about 15/20 pounds I could possibly be in the single digits

God help me then...cuz I know I will be crazy then

See you Saturday....

giver44
on 7/14/08 1:53 am - Post Falls, ID

Isn't it weird.. that you are thinking about this and speaking to people about a subject and then it shows up on here!! That is why this site is so important to me.

Any way to add my  input.  I was a size 18 in the 1970's (good old polyester).. I wore a size 18 and I was the exact same weight I am now.  And I wear a size 14 in jeans and an Xlarge top..the very same as then. And I am the exact same weight as I was then.

Us elderly people call it VANITY SIZEING..  On the main forum a few days ago.... some one had a chart on sizes and measurements then and now.  And according to that chart I would still be in a size 18.

My problem is people are calling me "SKINNY " and "You aren't planning on looseing more weight.. you look so good".  Well when I was this weight in my 20's I considered my self FAT and so did many others. So if I was fat then , how can I be skinny now?

I realize that everyone I know has only known me at 280lbs on my 5'2" frame and so I am sure I look SKINNY to them.. but according to my BMI chart I am still obese.

It is all so overwhelming to this old gal.

Keep up the good work.. I really do appreciate all your posts.. I lurk daily even thou I don't post often.  Thank you All   Alice

Annie B.
on 7/14/08 3:21 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with

Alice,  I know what you mean.  I get called "skinny" at church - yet I am still 226 pounds...still obese.  I am 5' 8", and my high weight was 315 - I am in an 18 - getting into 16's now...and I'm NOT skinny.  Many people have told me that I shouldn't lose too much more weight...that I look good where I am.  Well...my goal is 150 pounds (my first consult with the surgeon he said I should be 135 b/c of my bone structure). 

yeah that vanity sizing is strange...and now how lane bryant is doing it - you can go there and wear a size 3 jeans - but hello! anyone shopping there will not really be a size three!

I still look in the mirror and see the 315 pound person I was a few months ago.  Everywhere except my face...that's really the only place I can see that I'm smaller.  Once in a while I'll catch a glance in the mirror and think I look pretty good...but mostly I still feel that I look 315 lbs.  I know it will take time to get my head caught up with everything...just don't know HOW long it will take.

~Annie

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Hislady
on 7/14/08 2:43 am - Vancouver, WA

Helen_Anne
on 7/14/08 2:00 pm - Bremerton, WA

I read somewhere that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 14... there is NO way she wore "today's" size 14. 

Helen

Starting Over
on 7/14/08 6:04 pm

I've been reading up about this lately. I guess it takes a while for our brain to catch up with our bodies. We have ALL been such high weights for so long, that's it's really tough to get over the "fat girl" mentality. That's why things that we consider WOW moments are completely normal for other people.

I am experiencing the same thing, and pictures are the ONLY thing that keep reminding me that I AM so much smaller than I used to be. When I look in the mirror I still see the BIG me. I still have a ways to go, but I've come a long way...we ALL have.

Cynthia H.
on 7/15/08 8:21 am - Renton, WA
Sizes have definately changed over the years.  I have a size 16 business suit hanging in my closet that I bought 30 years ago and have never worn.  It still has the tags on it.  I now wear a size 14 in most clothes.  I pulled out that suit and it is still too small.  I'd say it would probably be a 10 now days.
I guess that as the people grew, they decided to change the sizes so we didn't feel so big!!!!
I was just disappointed to realize I still am bigger than I was 30 years ago.  It won't be long, though.

Cindy  

PinkFlamingoes
on 7/15/08 11:03 am - Buckley, WA
We are all built so different , too . I weigh 170 & wear a size 14 pants , & a 16 top . I went to Macy's & bought 3 size 1x tops (which normally would be too big) . They ran small , because all of the other size 1x's were bigger . That's probably why they were on clearance . It's intimidating for me to go clothes shopping .

Most Active