raising money for weight loss surgery. Help?

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/08 1:55 pm - kent, WA
I need to raise $1600 out of pocket prior to surgery for doc and hospt. I am on SSD so my money is too tight. So I thought I could do a raffle off say $200 dollars in gas. Tickets for say $5.00. three questions: Do you think $5.00 is too much? I don't know if I could get to 300 people? I don't know what I am doing Can anyone here help me , do you know how to do a raffle?
Hislady
on 7/9/08 2:28 pm - Vancouver, WA
I would think there are laws against doing something like that otherwise everyone would be doing it. You'd be better off to save your $200 and keep adding to it till you get what you need.
Mola
on 7/9/08 3:40 pm - WA
Here's a link to the Washington State Gambling Commission's web site regarding raffles. http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/gambling/raffles.asp

Wag more, bark less.

jillianD
on 7/9/08 11:02 pm - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
What about e-bay?  Do you have anything you could auction off?  My ex-brother in law used to go to thrift stores and find nice brand name clothes, buy them and then sell them for more there.  What about a part time job?  I understand you are on disability, my brother is too, but I know he is allowed to work a certian amout a month with out changing his benifits. It may thake a bit longer but you can do it!
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

hangokid11
on 7/10/08 3:56 am - MT
You going to Virginia Mason?? If so, you can ask them for financial charity care...
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 6:10 am - kent, WA
I understand they have a charity program for low income people based on how many people are in thier family/household. I am not expecting to qualify as I live with my daughter who works and I am apparently on the upper rung of Social Security's pay scale. I get too much money to qulify for food stamps so I figure it is probably the same.  Do you know what thier income guidelines are?
hangokid11
on 7/10/08 6:18 am - MT
Never hurts to ask... talk to the financial counselor and explain the situation. Are you living temporarily with your daughter? They might make an exception for you...  I don't have all the answers  but the financial counselor may do have some or all the answers ...  let me give you a number  Darryl Perry at 206.515.5956. He's the man to talk to or someone at his office.  (his job title is supervisor, patient arrival and insurance services) Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/08 6:23 am - kent, WA
Thanks, I am gonna call him, or go up in person.
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/08 6:16 am - kent, WA
yea!!!! Thanks to your wonderful help and advice Not only did I find out I will not have to pay the $1024 up front at Virginia Mason but that I do qualify for Charity care. YEA!! Still waiting to see if Dr Hunter requires the $600 Cash up front or is it just that one surgeon.  But I am so relieved about the other monies. I bit myself though cause I got discouraged and stopped my medically supervised weight loss program now I have to start over.  Still I do have good news............Yea!!!
hangokid11
on 7/11/08 6:21 am - MT
That is absolutely fantastic news!!!!
Most Active