Washingtonians, what pn powders you use?

hangokid11
on 7/7/08 12:47 am - MT
I've been all over the posts and Ive seen Isopure alot, other stuff.... I'm all set with the vitamins etc, but the flavors of pn pwders i'm wary  about cuz I've heard taste buds change afterwards...  I remember Shelley talking about samples from a website.... where did ya get that?  ~Kelly
Shelley S.
on 7/7/08 1:10 am - Ft Lewis, WA
Hi Kelly.  I got most of my samples from either GNC or super supplements in Lakewood.  However the unjury.com site has a way to order some of the samples as well.  I have finally found a powder I can play with and like very much and that's the designer whey unflavored.  Doesn't mean it doesn't have a little taste but it doesn't taste like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla etc.  I mix it with water and add a little sugar free divinci syrup in chocolate and I really like it.  But yes, dont buy big containers just yet, things I loved before I about gag on now.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/7/08 6:02 am - WA
Kelly, If you would like to do a taste test I am in Auburn. I will be out of town the 9th. and back on the 15th. call if you would like to try some different proteins. Merrilou (253) 939- 8865 P.S. Evenings are Ok
Starting Over
on 7/7/08 2:16 pm
I have purchased samples from www.bariatriceating.com (just know that shipping to our part of the country is expensive), www.unjury.com , and www.bariatricadvantage.com . I haven't had much luck with sample sized items at Super Supplements , vitamin shoppe, or GNC...though they do have tasty protein supplement bars and things. They also have the whey bullets in many flavors if you decide to try them. Also, I did ALOT of trading with local bariatric patients. Stuff I didn't like I traded for things they didn't like.
vitalady
on 7/7/08 3:50 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Any of these are what I use:

1.) Champion ProScore 100 choco + 8 oz water + ice, blended (hand blender or Magic Bullet).
2.) Champion Pure Whey Stack choco + 6-8 oz water, shaken.
3.) IDS vanilla-cinnamon + "glop" of DaVinci sugar free caramel sauce + 8 oz water + ice, blended.
4.) the PWS chco + the van-cin (50/50) in about 10 oz ho****er, stirred or hand blender.

They deliver 30g protein, less than 3g sugar, less than 200 calories, when made with water.

Lately I've been adding a shake of cinnamon to my hot ones since cinnamon fights belly fat.

I always put 1 scoop of UpCal D powder in (500mg calcium citrate, 250 IU of vit D3).

We have support groups in Puyallup twice each month. The next for July are 8th and 9th, 7pm.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

hangokid11
on 7/8/08 4:40 am - MT
Sorry I had not gotten back to you.... Thanks for the info and right now I'm dealing with another issue altogether. Sigh, hard to explain.... I have intracranial hypertension and it merely means that I have high spinal fluid pressure. I've had symptoms of swelling of the optic nerve (now taken care of by medication) and headaches and tinnitus.  It may mean nothing to anyone, but these headaches are not usually resolved by any kind of medication, not even migraine medications. The tinnitus (ringing in the ears) may not be a big deal to anyone, but having a constant "roaring" sound 24/7 can be debillitating, distracting, and affects quality of sleep.  Weight loss is not considered the normal solution for Intracranial Hypertension(IH), although it may help some of those people. Being overweight is not the cause of IH.  One example, that may help you understand a little bit, is that we have all heard that people with arthritis would say, "Oh, my knee aches, I bet it's going to rain tomorrow".  Sure enough, it rains.  It seems that those people are sensitive to changes in barometric pressure.  That is true for some people with IH, when the pressure drops; our heads hurt more.  If you are interested in learning more about it. There's a link for that.  http://www.ihrfoundation.org/intracranial/hypertension/info/ C18  Thanks for listening.
Syn
on 7/9/08 4:07 am - Everett, WA
I've given up on powders altogether. No matter how much I dilute them I can't get them to dissolve fully. I've gone with New Whey bullets in the 40 gram concentration. I add a full container and a packet of wyler's to a 32 oz water bottle. I have this twice a day which makes it easy to get my 80 oz and the H2O at the same time. It's a little more expensive, but I figure it's worth my money to get something I like and guarantee that I'll get it down.

One very important piece of information: Most of the flavors are pretty good, but [b]AVOID THE ORANGE AT ALL COSTS[/b]. It tastes and smells horrendous and can't be mixed with anything to improve it.

"
The American, by nature, is optimistic. He is experimental, an inventor and a builder who builds best when called upon to build greatly."                         
-John F. Kennedy
(deactivated member)
on 7/9/08 7:22 am - WA
What are the Whey bullets?  I really like Syntha-6 protein shakes.  I only  mix with water, so even the the calories are a little more than the others - the flavor is worth it!!  I figure I don't want to have something that tastes terrible, I won't drink it!
SmilinsShrinking
on 7/9/08 11:49 am - Kent, WA
DS on 08/05/16
I was sooo worried about the protein shakes too... as the ones that I had tried were kinda OK.. if you didn't think too hard about the pepto-bismol aftertastes.  :) Then, my friend took me to Vitalady (what a great place... the people were so nice & helpful).. and we got to sample bunches of different brands & flavors.  The Syntha-6 Strawberry Milkshake is DELICIOUS!! :)  I bought some.. and afterward, I did some online research.. and their Chocolate milkshake got even better reviews.   I can't wait to try it.  Best of luck as you try them out. I have a big container of a flavor that I thought would be good for me.. but it doesn't taste as good as I remembered.  (I must not be mixing it right)  *shrug*   I'll keep it around, just in case I ever run low on my favorites. *hugs* Smilin'

Revision band to DS. I had plastics to take care of my jiggily bits. I'm feeling so good!! My results have been even better than I ever dreamed.

whiterabt
on 7/10/08 3:30 pm
In terms of nutrition, I fing Thorne's Mediclear to be the best.  In one serving, it has 180 calories, 3.5 grams of omega-3 fats, 26 grams of protein, and only 7 grams of carbs (+5 fiber).  On top of that, you get your daily vitamin, digestive enzymes, and things like creatine, which helps with building muscle during excersize.  It's made of rice protein, which has a very distinct flavor, and best mixed with 4-8 oz of orange juice + water.  Some people love it, some people hate it. It's pricey, about $40/tub.  However, it is well worth the money.
Most Active