Help at a loss with what to do

kaiti1965
on 7/5/08 1:19 am - Wenatchee, WA
I have posted a few times, done all that was suggested.   But here goes, need ideas/guidence.   I have tried to get surgery done for weight loss 4 different times, did the atty thing as well and we failed.  Both my husbands and my insurance have written exclusions specifically for weight loss surgery.    A few months ago I had to have my gallbladder removed, since then I seemed to have gained more weight, yet am eating less, while waiting to have my gallbladder removed, they had to delay/ bump my surgery due to emergency, they left my IV in for over 9 hrs,  while in for the surgery, apparently my lungs filled up w/ fluids and I had complications, they kept me in the hospital a couple days to get rid of fluid.  Was the first time that someone told me because of my obesity I almost died.  Not a eye opener, but frustration and sadness because I know IM working hard to try to loose the weight.....  Im now starting to have trouble breathing or I get winded from the simple things, going up a flight of stairs, additionally I have pain in hips and when I wake up in the morning my feet are sore.... Im so frustrated.   I cant afford a loan at this time, as we just bought out house, daughter just graduated, and there are personal reasons, mainly my husband and I are seperating.  Loss of income wouldnt even qualify me for a loan. Does anyone have suggestions??
Hislady
on 7/5/08 4:33 am - Vancouver, WA
Well if you do get divorced you may qualify for Medicaid but I understand you still have to fight to get the surgery done. Otherwise it sounds like you are rapidly approaching the point where if you don't go ahead and get a loan you will die. Sometimes we just have to do what we have to do to stay alive. Other than finding another job where they do have WLS there aren't any options that I know of. There are companies that loan specifically for medical procedures, I think Capitol One is one of them. I truely wish you well and hope you can find a solution.
bheila
on 7/5/08 5:40 am - Kent, WA
Sorry to hear all of your struggles that you are going through right now.  For the last 5 years I was having problems getting coverage for WLS and I didn't want to put my family in debt by getting a loan to cover the procedure. Finally my husband got a different job with 4 different choices of insurance. I read up thoroughly on all of them to look for the best one for my family as well as one that would cover WLS.  Maybe you should look into finding a new place to work with insurance that covers WLS. Another option is to buy your own insurance. When I looked into that option it was only like $200.00 a month. I know it can seem like a lot at the time but you wouldn't have to have it for that long. I hope you find a solution.
kaiti1965
on 7/5/08 6:08 am - Wenatchee, WA

Do you recall what insurance it was that you looked at that covered the surgery?  I will check into that option.  I have very good coverage but that is the one exclusion and living in Wenatchee Wa.  Doesnt leave a person with alot of opitions for good employment.

Thank you,

Kathy

bheila
on 7/5/08 7:06 am - Kent, WA
I can't recall specifically. Maybe you can ask what insurance your WLS Dr's office excepts and then go to that insurance's website. That's where I started. I've looked at soooo many. It was the cheapest option I could find. I know about not very many options job wise in Wenatchee. I have friend who lives in Entiat.
Starting Over
on 7/5/08 7:40 am, edited 7/5/08 7:41 am

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having problems getting coverage for surgery.  You may want to check out local bariatric surgeons and see if they work with finance companies. I know that some surgeons work specifically with medical loan/finance companies to help their patients who have to self-pay. It's worth a try.

I had similiar problem when I first started looking into surgery. I had a specific exclusion. I basically had to wait until my husband changed jobs, then luckily his new job had coverage.  **edited: also you may want to talk to some of your local surgeons about your current situation. I have heard that sometimes they are willing to take a "charity" case and perform the surgery at super low or no-cost.

GOOD LUCK!

Shelly W.
on 7/5/08 8:09 am, edited 7/5/08 8:12 am - Sumner, WA
This kind of thing is so ridiculous.  I'm sorry you are having to go through all this. Have you thought about Mexico?  I have heard it is much cheaper.  I don't know how much, but I know of one person on here that had her surgery there.  I think she is from Wenatchee too.  Kristi is her name.  Good luck. 
--Shelly

kaiti1965
on 7/5/08 9:09 am - Wenatchee, WA

Yes I have thought about Mexico, the down side is that at this time with all that is going on, its a lack of income. But thanks for the thoughts, Kathy

Shelly W.
on 7/5/08 2:10 pm - Sumner, WA

Oh yeah, I totally understand.  It sounds like it's a very hard time right now for you.   Hang in there, you will get through this.   I kind of figured that Mexico was a long shot, but the only other suggestion that I could think of (other than those already made). Praying for your needs to be met. --Shelly

--Shelly

Most Active