Should I still have nausea

Shelly W.
on 7/3/08 4:30 am - Sumner, WA
I am a month out and am still having quite a bit of nausea.  It might be the protein drinks, but I am not sure.  Any idea how long would be normal?
--Shelly

jillianD
on 7/3/08 5:45 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
What kind of protein are you using?  They made me nauseated till I hit about 4 months out.  Different brands were better or worse.  Isopure made me the least sick but it was also the most expensive.  Have you tried mixing them with water or milk.  If your using milk it just might be too much for you.  = too many carbs=nausea.  I've heard of people just being plain nauseated for up to 6 months.  Speak to your surgeon if its too bad and they can give you something to combat it.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Shelly W.
on 7/3/08 5:58 am - Sumner, WA
Hmmm.  I have a couple different brands.  Haven't tried isopure though.  I may get a little of that.  I have tried water and soy milk.  On the other hand nausea takes care of the hunger pangs, lol. I hadn't heard about carbs being a problem in that way.  That might be why it got a little worse yesterday.  I just started mushies and had some cream of wheat yesterday and oatmeal today.
--Shelly

jillianD
on 7/3/08 6:01 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
See its so wierd ketosis ( what your probable in right now) causes nausea, too much simple carbs can cause dumping= nausea.  It will be trial and error for a while till you get the right amount.  With the cream of wheat and oatmeal try and have some protein with or right before it.  It will help balance things out so you don't have an insulin spike.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Annie B.
on 7/3/08 5:55 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with
I still get quite nauseated at times...I'm four months out now.  I'm kind of nauseated right now...took at TINY bite of my son's granola bar *sigh*

~Annie  High 315 / Post-Op 309.2 / Current 149

Shelly W.
on 7/3/08 6:01 am - Sumner, WA
Thanks.  I guess I should write it off as being pretty normal.
--Shelly

Hislady
on 7/3/08 10:02 am - Vancouver, WA
Having the band we don't have dumping problems from carbs and sugars so it's probably not that. Some of us just don't do well with the milk products tho. I would also suggest the Isopure drinks they are 40 grams of protein and the only thing I could stand. All the protein drinks made me want to gag. If you are up to mushies I would suggest more food protein like meats in the blender or soups run thru the blender. Also refried beans and cheese is yummy. I'm a firm believer in getting your protein from real food not the shakes. I was on full liquids right after surgery and could have anything that would be able to go thru a straw (only don't use one, too much air drawn in) I had nothing but real foods thinned down with beef or chicken broth. Split pea and lentil soup are particularly high in protein also low fat dairy like cottage cheese or yogurt are good protein sources. Come on over to the lap band board for lots more ideas for foods after surgery.
VickiStevens
on 7/6/08 2:18 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hey Shelly, Sorry I didn't see this sooner and respond - with the holiday weekend I have not been on the boards much. It sounds like you just moved from liquids to mushies - is that right?  if so, are you feeling the nausea more when you are eating "food" or when you are drinking your protein shakes?    If it's more with the food, it is probably your body adjusting to getting food again.  If that is it, I would suggest eating smaller meals of the food while your stomach is adjusting.  Also, introduce only one food at a time.  That seems to be easier for the stomach to accept. If the nausea is when you are drinking your protein shakes, then definitely try a different brand.  What are you using now?  My favorite is the Champion Pure Whey with Unjury as a secondary choice.  They are both quite tasty but the Unjury is more expensive so it comes in second. :) Please PM, or email me at [email protected], if I can be of any help. Take care.
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Most Active