medicare and medicaid

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/08 4:56 am - kent, WA
i have medicare as i am on SSD. My monthly amount is too high to get medicaid. I was told though that I have a spend down and will get medicaid. Can I apply for medicaid before surgery?
Terri K.
on 7/2/08 5:16 am - Vancouver, WA
The cost of your surgery would go towards your spend down.  So, depending on how much the spend down is....it would cover some of it.  Doesn't medicare cover it also....if you go through all the hoops?  I'm a social worker for the state and have had several client have it covered.  Not sure what they had to do, though.
(deactivated member)
on 7/2/08 5:24 am - kent, WA
Thank you for your reply and I see you know what your talking about. I hope I am remembering it right that Medicaid would help after the $6500 spend down. I have medicare and it will cover the surgery itself but i am thinking about the anastesologist (can't spell), any follow ups, stuff like that that medicare will only pay 80%. and that is a good percentage but like i said i am on SSD so I have very little excess monies what i do have pays for my meds copay and my shrink (bipolar) and I will have enough left over for the protien drinks & supplements. Will have to sponge off my daughter for the food. So, trying to think ahead on ways to reduce the debt.
Terri K.
on 7/2/08 5:41 am - Vancouver, WA
Yes.  That's a pretty high spend down, so probably won't help you much.  Are you on ssd for bi-polar, or do you have other health care issues?  Do you need any assistance with your activities of daily living?  Things like medication management, bathing, dressing, toileting, transferring to the shower, off the toilet, from a chair?  Any history of falls?  If so, you may qualify for medicaid COPES services through Home and Community Services (that's where I work).  The down side is if you get ssd of more than 850 you would have a participation amount.  Up side is that you would get a straight medical coupon.
(deactivated member)
on 7/2/08 6:08 am - kent, WA
I am on it for my Bipolar. and I do get more than 850 moth with no other issues. I am screwed huh?
Terri K.
on 7/2/08 10:22 am - Vancouver, WA
Unfortunately, probably yes.
Most Active