New to Washington and in search of support

Jane H.
on 6/28/08 3:42 pm - WA
I am new to Washington and am looking for someone or someones to give me some support for my life after-surgery.  I had lap-band surgery May 1st, 2008 and moved to Marysville from Georgia one month later (yep, military).  I just had my first fill and I am struggling.  I am hungry.  Even after the fill.  I know that I am eating more than I am supposed to, but I can't get full.  Any words of advice?  Is this normal?  Are there any local support groups?
Starting Over
on 6/29/08 1:48 am
Have you already set yourself up with a local surgeon? Maybe it's time for another fill.
jillianD
on 6/29/08 2:10 am - olympia, WA
RNY on 02/13/08 with
Welcome to  Washington!!  Wow your way up north!  I think there are a couple of ladies up in your neck of the woods.  I hope they see this post. What medical facility are you going to for your fills?  I am sorry you are struggeling, are you following you diet plan?  From what I understand with the band you will be hungry and have to be strong until you reach the proper amount of restriction.  So IMOP you sound totally normal to me.  Do the best you can dense protein first, veggies next and minimal carbs.  Also folllow the 30 min rule. Is that a rule for you all to?  Seems to me like it should be.   On a different note I am military also (Army) live near Ft. lewis, used to live in Georgia (loved it) and I love it here now too!   Hope you get what you are looking for, you can also try the lap band board.
Jilly  BR/BL  April 15, 2009!!

Jane H.
on 6/29/08 3:33 am - WA
I just saw Dr. Nicole White, who is out of North Western Medical.  I got a fill on Friday, and I can't tell a difference.  I have another appointment at the end of July.   I think I will just stand strong.  I am eating healthy, just in gross quantity.  30 min. rule?  You mean no drinking liquids after I eat?  I do that.  We are Navy.  My husband just left yesterday for the gulf.
Hislady
on 6/29/08 3:41 am - Vancouver, WA
Welcome to WA! Sorry to tell you but yes it usually takes 3-5 fills before you get any kind of good restriction. It also depends on how aggresive your doc is, some only do lots of very small fills and others (my doc) usually give 1 cc or more per fill. Actually it's better for you and your band to go on the slow side because getting too tight is miserable not to mention hazardous to you and your band. So just relax and be patient and you'll be at good restriction before you know it. Don't worry too much about weight loss at this point because it will be difficult until your band is actually doing it's job. You may even gain a bit but you'll be able to lose it quickly once you have restriction. I wish doctors were more clear about this because it causes so many people unneccesary stress for months til they get to a good spot. Best of luck!
Jane H.
on 6/29/08 3:57 am - WA
Thank you. I all the information is wonderful.  I hope to stay with OH and create some accountability.  With my husband gone, I need someone to give me support.  Patience.... I will reach that point... and will look back on this time and think to myself how it was all worth it!
lorisb
on 7/1/08 5:36 am - Vancouver, WA
I agree with the other bandsters.  Patience is the virtue.  Of course I managed to only lose 20 pounds in my first year so I must have had some patience, lol! You'll get there.  You have us to vent on! Lori
PinkFlamingoes
on 6/29/08 4:29 am - Buckley, WA
Welcome to Washington . I'm glad someone who has the Lap Band , responded , because I know nothing about LB . You will get lots of support , here . We don't have any surgery snobs , here . There are some on the main OH board , if you hadn't noticed . lol . We also have a nice sized group of people on the Wa. board who are military (mostly Madigan & Fort Lewis) . Which makes it nice , because being a military wife is a whole other world . I was raised military & have a lot of appreciation for our military & their families . Again , Welcome . Kathy

VickiStevens
on 6/29/08 8:08 am - Tacoma, WA
What you are experiencing is very normal at this early stage.  With the band, your surgery is only the starting point in your journey.  Your surgery is not "complete" until you have the right amount of saline in your band.  We call this reaching the "sweet spot."   For most banded folks, this takes about 3-5 fills.  With each successive fill, you should fill just a bit more restriction until you reach the right fill level for you.  Once you reach that spot, you will find you get full quickly, can only eat small amounts of most foods and will not get hungry.  Seriously, I don't feel physically hungry ever.  In fact, at times I forget to eat.   I am in Seattle so quite a bit south of you.  I do not know if there are any support groups up there, you might ask your new surgeon if she knows of any.   Please feel free to PM me with any questions, I have been living with my band for 5 1/2 years now - I think I have experienced just about everything that can happen with a band.  Not really, but it feels that way sometimes! Good luck and hang in there.
Vicki
Starting weight: 240 Current weight: 130
Kristi H.
on 7/3/08 11:48 pm - E Wenatchee, WA
Hi Jane, welcome to Washington. Be assured what you are feeling is normal, but it will get easier. Are you tracking your food. I use FitDay.com to track, it's free and very helpful. I had my lapband on 4-1 and didn't get my first fill til 5-30. so i understand the hunger bit. It help to eat 3 meals and 2 small snacks, lot's of dense protein. Please visit the lapband board, it is a great place to get all your questions answered and great support. There arn't any support groups where i live, so i totally rely on the boards for my support. It's the best weight loss support i have ever had, couldn't do it without all the great ppl.  Good luck, hope to see you around. God bless.   Happy 4th!

What ever the LORD brings you to, HE will bring you thru.....
FILL'S  1st 5-30 2cc's   2nd 7-10 4cc's  3rd 9-16 1cc 4th 11-22 1.4cc
Most Active